Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Last updated: 6 January 2022

Taking over a tenancy (succession)

If you live with a council tenant who dies, you could be eligible to take over their tenancy. The technical term for this is succession.

What is succession?

It’s taking over someone’s tenancy after they die.

As a joint tenant you can automatically succeed their tenancy, providing no other succession has occurred.

However, you can ask to be considered for succession even if you’re not a joint tenant. 

For example, you could be their partner (married, unmarried or same-sex couple) or family. However, this is subject to assessment and certain conditions. 

Are you eligible?

This depends on your relationship with the person, and their type of tenancy.

  • To be eligible for succession, you must’ve lived with the tenant for at least 12 months prior to their death.
  • If you’re a joint tenant, married or a civil partner, you’re only required to be living with them at the time of death.
  • If you’re a family member (who’s not married to the tenant or holds joint status) then you can apply to succeed their tenancy. This is only if you’ve been living with them for at least 12 months and is subject to assessment.

Apply for succession

You need to let us know within three months of the person’s passing.

To do this, contact your housing officer today.

And they’ll arrange a home to visit discuss your succession options and eligibility.