Last updated: 19 July 2023
Privately rented homes must be kept in a good state of internal and external repair. Our property standards help guide landlords what we expect from homes and flats occupied by a single household.
It covers reasonable repair and has information on space standards and housing hazards.
Further requirements apply to Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) and buildings containing flats.
Health & Safety Checks (HMOs only)
We will normally only grant a licence to a property that:
- has fire safety measures in place, such as smoke detectors
- has a valid annual gas safety certificate
- has adequate cooking and washing facilities
- is not overcrowded
- has electrical wiring and appliances that have been checked and certified safe
- has communal and shared areas that are kept clean and in good repair (HMOs).