Last updated: 19 July 2023
If you apply for an additional or mandatory HMO licence, we will need to inspect your property before making our decision.
For selective licensing, we can inspect the property at any time during the licence term.
We can carry out audit and compliance checks and inspections on licensed properties at any time.
- normally take between 20 minutes to 1 hour
- take place on a date and time pre-arranged with the tenant/occupier or landlord, where possible
- are carried out by a council officer who must be with an appointed adult (such as the tenant, property owner or the owner’s representative)
- lead to an inspection report which is shared with the landlord.
If we’re not happy, there are several options available, including:
- asking the licence holder to update the information given previously
- asking the landlord to do improvement works
- prosecution or fine for not complying with the scheme.