Selective licensing


Most privately rented properties which are let or occupied by a single household in Waltham Forest must apply for a selective licence, unless an exemption applies.

The existing selective licensing scheme is due to expire on the 31 March 2020.

Most landlords will need to apply for a licence under the new scheme. However, if you have just become a landlord you must register now.

Each licence can last up to a maximum of 5 years or until the scheme expires.

The new scheme is awaiting central government approval. Once approved, the new scheme will come into force after three months.

If you rent a property to three or more unrelated occupiers, you will need to apply for

Which applies to all privately rented houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

Further information may be found in councils

If you’re the owner of multiple rented properties in the borough, you must complete an application for each property.

Failure to licence an address is an offence and the council may take further legal action, including prosecution, which could result in a conviction and an unlimited fine.

Alternatively, the council may impose a civil penalty of up to £30,000. Any prosecutions or civil penalties served against a landlord will be taken into consideration when deciding if they can be a licence holder. 

As of 1 April 2016, the fee is £650 for a single dwelling for a licence period of up to five years.  There are certain circumstances where the landlord may be eligible for a discount. Further information may be found on Licence applications under parts 2 and  3 Housing Act 2004 September 2018  

This fee is non-refundable for submitted applications or if you sell or stop letting your property.

Before you apply Click to get info

Before you start your application, it's essential you read the requirements and property standards of selective licensing.

Preparing your application

You'll need to prepare the information and documentation you need before you start your application. Please read the list of information and documentation required for the application.

Please be aware:

  • all required documents need to be uploaded with the application and need to be in digital form
  • you should arrange to scan your documents so that they are ready to be uploaded as attachments to your application
  • the application system will accept multiple formats including .doc, .docx, .pdf, .xls, .xlsx. Each file must not exceed 2MB
  • supporting documentation is uploaded at the end of the application form, once you have progressed through licence payment

Before you apply, please read:

You may also like to read

Register for a My Services account

Before applying, you need to register for a My Services account. It means you can view your submitted licences and complete saved licences.

You can register for your MyServices account online here.

If you need any advice applying, you can read guidance to registering for a My Services account.

Once you have registered for a My Services account, you can complete your licence application(s).

Apply for a selective licence

Please make sure you complete your applications correctly. Please note:

  • the application form will not work correctly in Internet Explorer 8 or below. Use Chrome, Firefox or the latest version of Internet Explorer
  • the form is not designed to be completed on your phone
  • partially completed applications which are not accessed for more than 90 days will be removed from your My Services account
  • errors cannot be amended and will be subject to the licence application fee
  • any unsaved applications will be lost

Read the step by step guidance to completing a selective licence.

Payment is made online with a debit or credit once we have determined your application

If you have a problem with the payment process, or you don't receive an email confirmation, please phone Customer Services between 9am and 5pm on 020 8496 3000.

Paying for your licence Click to get info

Payment is made online with a debit or credit once we have determined your application. We will write to you when payment is due.

Visit the secure payment page.

Change in circumstances Click to get info

The licence holder and/or their property manager tell us within 10 working days of any changes in their circumstances.

To do this, please use the selective licence enquiry form.

Disagree with a decision? Click to get info

If you disagree with the decision, you're entitled to make a complaint directly to us,

Make a complaint about council services here.

You can appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal within 28 days, if you disagree with any of our decisions.

Residential Property Tribunal
10 Alfred Place

Phone: 020 7446 7700
Fax: 020 7637 1250


By law, we must publish a register of PRPL properties.

Download the public register of licensed properties (2.95MB PDF)

Is the property you're in registered?

If you're a tenant, you can check if the property you're living in has been licensed by searching the register.

If you think your property isn't licensed, or that it doesn't comply with the licensing conditions, please let us know by emailing

Property standards Click to get info

Several of the property licence conditions require landlords to maintain privately rented homes in a reasonable state of internal and external repair.

Please read our set of standards for private rented property.

This document is intended to guide landlords about the standard of repair that we expect from privately rented accommodation. The guidance is aimed at houses and self-contained flats occupied by a single household. It covers reasonable repair and provides information regarding space standards and housing hazards. Additional requirements apply to houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) and buildings containing flats.

If you don't have access to a computer, you can visit a Library Plus branch where you can use a self-service PC to log your request/report. Staff are available to support you if you need it.​​​​​​​