Waltham Forest Council allows double swiping for Taxicard holders

Taxicard offers subsidised travel in licensed taxis and private hire vehicles to residents with serious mobility impairments or who are severely sight impaired. The Taxicard scheme helps disabled people who can’t use the bus or Tube to get out and about with subsidised taxi trips.

Previously in Waltham Forest, only single swiping was allowed.

Single swiping is when a Taxicard user takes a trip, they swipe their card on a machine held by the taxi driver. This registers that they have used one of their allocated trips and allows for the subsidy to be applied to the fare.

As of 1st April 2024 we are pleased to advise that Taxicard holders in Waltham Forest are now able to swipe twice. Swiping twice deducts two trips from a user’s allocation and allows for a double subsidy to the cost of the trip. However, it also doubles the minimum user contribution required.

The council will review the impact of the implementation of double swiping in 12 months’ time and thereafter annually, subject to funding made available by Transport for London, to determine whether it can be extended for a further year.

Taxicards can be used 24 hours a day, 365 days per year subject to the availability of vehicles. Individuals can use them up to a maximum of 104 times per year.

If you have difficulty using public transport due to a serious, permanent mobility problem or are severely sight impaired, the Taxicard scheme could help you.

This London-wide scheme helps pay for journeys in licensed black taxis and private hire vehicles.

The scheme works in the following way:

  • You pay the first £3.20 of each trip – the flat fare
  • The council pays an additional amount up to a total of £9.00 towards your fare
  • If your fare goes above £12.20 (£3.20+£9.00) you’ll pay the difference in addition to the flat fare

Taxicard users can travel when and where they want, as long as the journey starts and finishes in the Greater London area.

More information about using your Taxicard.

Qualifying for a Taxicard

You can apply for a Taxicard from us if you live permanently in the London Borough of Waltham Forest. If you live outside of Waltham Forest you’ll have to apply through your local council.

You’ll automatically qualify if you:

You can also apply if you have long term mobility problems that prevent you from being able to use public transport. You may be invited to a mobility assessment with one of our Occupational Therapist Assistant.

You won’t qualify if you have a temporary condition, such as a broken leg.

How to apply for a Taxicard

To apply, download the Taxicard application form (PDF) and post to:

London Councils
59½ Southwark Street 
London  SE1 0AL

Download the Taxi card application guidance notes (PDF)

If you meet the automatic criteria you’ll need to provide proof of your entitlement.

This can be:

  • A copy of evidence of higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • Proof of your registration if you are registered as blind or severely sighted impaired within Waltham Forest

You’ll also need to provide proof that you are a permanent resident of the London Borough of Waltham Forest.

This can be:

  • a current council tax bill or;
  • tenancy agreement or;
  • utility bill dated within the last three months

You’ll also need to provide a passport-size photograph, with your name and the date printed on the back.

Replacing a lost Taxicard

To replace a lost Taxicard, download and complete the Taxicard replacement form (PDF) and return to:

London Councils
59½ Southwark Street 
London  SE1 0AL

Contacting the Taxicard service

The Taxicard service is operated by London Councils on behalf of all the London boroughs.

Please see their who to contact about Taxicard page for more details how to contact the service.

Help with completing online forms

For those without computers, you can use a self-service PC in any Waltham Forest Library

Staff there can help you to log in and create a MyAccount.