Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Last updated: 12 April 2023

Next review: 12 April 2024

Most children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) go to mainstream nurseries, schools and colleges. However, if after two termly reviews, you’re unhappy with your child’s progress, you can request an assessment for an Education, Health and Care plan.

Find out who can ask for an assessment and how, and how we decide if it’s necessary.

What is an Education, Health and Care plan?

An Education, Health and Care plan (‘EHC plan’) is a legal document. It sets out a child / young person’s special educational needs, the support they need, and what they’d like to achieve. It covers birth to 25 years (if a young person stays in education).

The following can request an assessment for an EHC plan:

  • Your child’s school or nursery
  • A health professional or other person involved with your child
  • A parent, carer, foster parent
  • A young person aged 16 or over and still in education

Request an EHC assessment and read guidance