Last updated: 11 August 2023

Next review: 11 August 2024

Report a problem on a road or footpath

You can report the following issues:

  • Problem with traffic lights, street lights, or illuminated signs
  • Road or footway marking defects: such as faded or missing lines, potholes and surface defects
  • Street furniture including benches, fences, advertising hoardings, bollards, plants, street name plates, cycle stands
  • Bridges and structure defects

To report road or footpath obstructions, see our Road or footpath obstructions page.

Road markings and signage

We are responsible for installing road signs and markings to regulate traffic and to provide warnings to drivers.

The signs used on the public highway are controlled by government regulations. See the Highway Code for more information.

  • Yellow lines: The council authorises yellow line road marking where there is a need to restrict parking to help increase traffic flow and to prevent obstructions on roads.
    See our Parking pages for more details about restrictions and enforcement within Waltham Forest.

  • Red routes: In Waltham Forest, the only red routes are the A406 (North Circular Road) and the A12 (Hackney - M11 Link Road).
    Transport for London (TfL) manages these and all other red routes in London.

  • Tourism signing: Tourist attractions that would like to apply for a sign should contact customer services by using our online form 

Speed humps and pedestrian crossings

Road safety measures include traffic calming and the installation of speed humps and pedestrian crossings.

Make a road safety request.

Help with completing online forms

For those without computers, you can use a self-service PC in any Waltham Forest Library

Staff there can help you to log in and create a MyAccount.