Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Who can apply?

If you receive benefits, are on a low income, or are unemployed, you can get support to help pay your rent.

Most people will now get this support through Universal Credit. How Universal Credit can help with your rent

Some people can still apply for Housing Benefit. You can make a new Housing Benefit claim if you:

  • have reached State Pension age
  • live in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

You can’t get Housing Benefit if:

  • you are a student
  • you have over £16,000 in savings, stocks and shares or other funds, unless you get guaranteed credit of pension
  • you already get Universal Credit or are entitled to claim it