Last updated: 1 February 2024

Next review: 1 February 2025

If you bring a foreign vehicle into Great Britain you’ll need a foreign vehicle permit to cover you before you register the vehicle with the DVLA. Foreign vehicles have 6 months to register in a new country.

Foreign vehicle parking permits will have to be registered with the DVLA to buy an annual residents permit.

Parking permits are now virtual which means there is no need to display a permit in your vehicle. 

Civil enforcement officers can check which vehicles have a valid permit using the vehicle registration number.

How much do foreign vehicle parking permits cost

Engine cylinder capacity (CC) or CO2 emission g/kmSix month foreign vehicle permit
Up to 100g/km£90
101 to 170g/km or up to 1549cc£150
171g/km or above 1549cc£380

Changes and refund fees

  • refunds are subject to a fee of £27.50

Zero CO2 emissions

The council reserves the right to check applications for vehicles with zero CO2 emissions. 

DVLA records may say your vehicle has zero emissions when it isn’t a zero emissions vehicle. The only zero emissions vehicles currently on the market are full electric vehicles (EV). Where this occurs, permit prices will be based on vehicle engine size.

We may apply additional price increases if incorrect information was provided at the application stage.

What evidence do I need to provide?

Proof of where you live

You must provide one document (dated within the last three months) with your current name and address, for example:

  • Council Tax bill / statement
  • utility bill
  • rent book / lease agreement
  • bank / building society statement
  • driving licence / car insurance

Mobile phone bills won’t be accepted.

Company vehicle

Letter on printed company letterhead (with VAT number) confirming:

  • where you live
  • your employment status within the company
  • that you are a major user of the vehicle
  • a copy of the vehicle rental or lease agreement

How to apply and pay for foreign vehicle parking permits

Waltham Forest Council retains the right to carry out random checks on permits in order to check the information supplied in the application.

You'll need to:

  • register your account to use the service if you haven’t already
  • have a debit or credit card ready to pay for your permit
  • have copies of your documents of proof

Photos of documents of proof will be accepted in the following file formats: DOC, DOCX, PDF, GIF, PNG or JPEG file.

You may not need to upload any documents of proof during your application but you may be asked to supply copies of those documents at a later date.

If you don’t supply documents when asked, your permit may be cancelled and your vehicle will become subject to enforcement action.

Please allow 1 working day to receive a response from the parking control office about your online requests.

By post

To apply by post you’ll need to:

  • fill out an application form,
  • send payment and
  • provide documents of proof

Payment should be made by cheque or postal order payable to 'LBWF'. Please do not send cash through the post.

Download a resident permit application for foreign vehicles (PDF file)

To get an application form sent to you by post, call Waltham Forest Parking Control Office on 0203 092 0112 and select option 3.

If lines are busy leave a voicemail request for your application form. Provide your full name and postal address and your application form will be sent to you the next working day.

In person

You can also drop-off permit application forms at the following libraries:

This is a drop off service and your applications will not be checked by a member of library staff. You must include documents of proof and payment with your application form.

If you don't fill in your form fully or include payment it will cause a significant delay to the process of getting your permit.

If you don’t provide telephone and email contact details in your application your application will be disregarded and your permit will not be issued.

Please allow 10 days for your permit arrive if you apply by post or the library drop-off service.

Queries and help with your application

If you need a paper application form, or this permit doesn't meet your needs please contact our permit team. You can email or call them on 0203 092 0112, option 3 for assistance.

Where you cannot park

Foreign vehicle parking permits are not valid:

  • in market trader bays (MT)
  • catering bays (CAT)
  • short stay bays
  • Pay and Display bays
  • car parks
  • bays designated for a specific reason (for example: loading bays)
  • any parking bay that has been suspended 
  • or on yellow lines.

Things you need to know

If terms of use are breached your permit will be revoked immediately without notice and the associated vehicle will become subject to enforcement action.

Please also note:

  • The information that is provided on the application form may be passed onto third parties by the council. This is in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 (as amended), in order to help prevent fraud.
  • If fraudulent applications are detected or terms of use are breached this permit will not be valid. The associated vehicle will then become subject to enforcement action.
  • Foreign vehicle residents parking permits can only be issued to vehicles that do not exceed 2.3 meters in height or 5.25 meters in length. If it is found that your vehicle is outside of these restrictions your permit will be revoked without notice and enforcement action taken.
  • Foreign Vehicle Residents Parking Permits are only valid on vehicles with a current road tax licence.
  • If it is discovered that your application has been made fraudulently your Foreign Vehicle Residents Parking Permit will be revoked immediately. The associated vehicle will then become subject to enforcement.
  • Foreign vehicle residents' parking permits will not be issued to customers with outstanding unchallenged Penalty Charge Notices (PCN’s).
  • The issue of a foreign vehicle resident parking permit does not guarantee the user a parking space.
  • Six months is the nationally recognised time limit that a foreign vehicle can remain without it being registered in that country.
  • Submission of the permit application form is confirmation that you agree to its terms and conditions of use

Things you'll need to let us know

You’ll need to let us know if:

  • you cease to reside within the borough of Waltham Forest or within the same controlled parking zone during the validity of the permit
  • you change a vehicle and are in possession of a valid permit
  • you lose your permit or it’s been stolen

If you change your vehicle during the validity of the existing permit you must inform Waltham Forest Parking Control office immediately.

Download the Foreign vehicle resident parking permit application form (PDF). You must send your application form with the appropriate service fee, to the Waltham Forest Parking Control Office by post. You can also submit the application with evidence by emailing A member of staff will be in contact with you within 1 working day to process your payment over the telephone and discuss permit delivery.

If your vehicle has been stolen during the validity of the existing permit, you must inform Waltham Forest Parking Control Office immediately.

Download the Foreign Vehicle resident parking permit application form (PDF file) and send it to Waltham Forest Parking Control Office by post or email at and a member of staff will be in contact with you within 1 working day. You will be asked to provide the crime reference number supplied by the police. Upon receipt of notification the permit will be immediately cancelled. You will have the option to apply for a temporary permit, if you are in use of a vehicle temporarily, or replacement foreign vehicle residents parking permit for your new vehicle.


Waltham Forest Parking Control Office

PO Box 9319 
E17 7RX 

Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (closed public holidays) 

We aim to respond to emails within 2 working days.