Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Noise and anti-social behaviour

Report a noise nuisance

What is noise nuisance?

Noise nuisance is unreasonable sound that affects others. This is called a statutory nuisance.

It is not the sounds of everyday living like doors slamming, babies crying, neighbours talking, people using the toilet etc.

A noise nuisance may be caused by:

  • loud music, parties or entertainment venues
  • construction
  • DIY
  • alarms
  • animals
  • fireworks

What you can do

  1. First, talk to whoever is making the noise. They might not even know there is a problem and may be glad to help. If you feel unable to do this, read our Noise Action Guidance (PDF file).
  2. If the noise is coming from a rented property, contact the landlord. Most tenancies state that residents must not cause a disturbance to neighbours. This means the landlord can act.
  3. Keep a noise diary. This should record dates and times of when noise happens, and how it affects you
  4. Report the noise

Noise we can help with


The Fireworks Regulations 2004 bans the use of fireworks between 11pm to 7am, apart from:

  • until midnight on 5 November (Bonfire Night)
  • until 1am following Chinese New Year
  • until 1am on the day after Diwali
  • until 1am on 1 January (New Year’s Eve/Day)

Construction noise

We expect construction work to be noisy between:

  • Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
  • Saturday 8am to 1pm

But not on Sundays and bank holidays.

There are certain exceptions where work may be carried out outside these hours, including:

  • Emergency utility works
  • Railway works necessitating track closures
  • Highway works on major traffic routes

DIY works undertaken by people in their own homes can be undertaken at any reasonable time but should have regard to the disturbance that may be caused to neighbours.

Find out more about construction nuisance.

DIY noise

Noisy DIY should be carried out:

  • Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm (until 8pm if done after work)
  • Saturdays 8am to 6pm
  • Sundays/Bank Holidays 10am to 4pm

If noisy work continues outside these hours, we can serve a notice under the Control of Pollution Act 1974 to stop it.

Noisy Alarms

Intruder alarms

Intruder alarms should have a 20-minute cut-out device to stop them ringing for longer. If an alarm goes on for longer you may be fined up to £2,000.

We have powers to deal with noisy alarms that do not stop after 20 minutes. If the alarm is still ringing after an hour, we can stop it. We will try to do this from the outside.

If this fails, we can apply for a warrant to enter the premises. In such cases, we’ll use a locksmith to open doors. The property owner must pay for the costs of doing this.

If you’re concerned, you can nominate a keyholder for your property and give us their contact details. We can then get in touch with them if your alarm goes off by accident.

Car alarms

If a car alarm has been triggered accidentally, we’ll try and contact the registered keeper. If we can’t, and the alarm is still sounding after an hour, we can get a locksmith to turn it off.

The registered keeper must pay all costs involved. We can also have the car removed from the road.

Outdoor events

For more information about control of noise at outdoor events please read our Code of Practice and Guidance Notes on Noise Control for Concerts and Outdoor Events (PDF file)

Noise we can’t help with

Aircraft noise

If you want to complain about aircraft noise, contact the Civil Aviation Authority:

London Stadium Events

To complain about any events at the London Stadium, you should contact them:

Help with completing online forms

If you don't have a computer, you can use a self-service PC at any library in Waltham Forest to log your request/report.

Staff there can help you to log in and create a MyAccount.