Last updated: 2 February 2024

Next review: 2 February 2025

How to rent your property

As long as your mortgagee agrees - you should be entitled to rent out your flat.

You will need to notify the Homeownership Team of your new address so we can send your bills/notices.

You will need to apply for a Private rented property licence, but don’t forget you will still be responsible for paying the ground rent, service charges and buildings insurance for your flat.

When you rent out your property, you’ll also be responsible for making sure your tenants do not cause a nuisance to other people eg noise. 

Selling your property

When you’ve found someone to buy your flat, your solicitor will need to give the buyers’ solicitors information about your service charges, your account balance, or if there are major works planned.

To prevent your sale being delayed, after you’ve agreed term with the buyer, your solicitor will need to contact the Homeownership Team for a leasehold pack. They’ll receive this within 28 days.

Fees and Charges, applicable 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024

  • Leasehold Resale Enquiry Pack: £260.00
  • Registration of Notice of Transfer: £80.00
  • Registration of Notice of Charge: £60.00
  • Balance enquiry for remortgages: £90.00


Phone 0208 496 3000 – ext: 4044 

Extending your lease

Extending your lease means you could add up to another 90 years to the time left on your lease.

To get more information about this, contact the Homeownership Team. They will explain what you have to do, the costs and timescales involved. 

If you need to ask for a valuation price, you will need to pay a deposit in advance.

Contact us

Contact details