Last updated: 17 April 2024

Next review: 15 August 2024

Does your home have water stains on the ceiling or black specks on the side of your windows and walls?

Cold homes increase the risk of damp and reporting damp and mould concerns as soon as possible can make sure action is taken.

Causes of damp, mould, and condensation

  • Building conditions - age, design, overdue repair work such as broken pipes.
  • Cold surfaces caused by a lack of insulation
  • Poor ventilation in your home
  • Only heating one area of your home
  • Moisture from daily actions such as taking a bath, cooking, or drying clothes.

Steps to reduce damp, mould and condensation in your home

  • Report it - If you are renting your property, it is your landlord's responsibility to fix repairs that may be causing damp. Report any issues to your landlord.
  • Insulate - Loft and wall insulation, and draught proofing are changes that will keep your home warmer. Contact your landlord about these changes being carried out. 
  • Heat correctly - If you rent your property and heaters don't work, there is no thermostat or controls, you must report this to your landlord. If there is no response contact your local council. On cold days keep the temperature in bedrooms between 18 to w21 degrees celsius. In living rooms lower the heat at night and when you leave your property. 
  • Ventilate - Extractor fans are a low cost way to ventilate and make a big difference. Dehumidifiers reduce humidity and condensation which will save you money in the long run as you will be heating your home less.
  • Reduce moisture - Cook with lids on pots to prevent steam from escaping. This also is a cost-effective way to use less energy whilst cooking. 
  • Drying clothes outside - During colder months, you can dry clothes outside or in bathrooms with the door closed. Opening the window slightly or having an extractor fan on will help clothes to dry quicker.
  • Cleaning - You can use approved moldicide or fungicidal washes to wipe down mould growth. 

Where to get help

Private rented accommodation 
If you live in privately rented accommodation please talk to your landlord. If there is no response get in contact by sending an email to or by calling 020 8496 4949 to request a free home visit.

Housing Associations 
If you live in a Housing Association home, in the first instance, you should contact the Housing Association to report any damp and mould issues, please find the details below. 

Council tenants and leaseholders