Last updated: 12 December 2023

Next review: 12 December 2024

As a private landlord, you can benefit from letting your property to local people who are looking for a home and have approached the council for housing assistance. We are looking for homes in Waltham Forest, across the wider London area, and further afield. 

If you have a property, please contact our dedicated Accommodation Procurement Team

How you'll benefit as a landlord

We run an established private rental scheme for landlords offering vetted tenants, tenancy support, and cash incentives. We are looking for properties of all sizes and for landlords who are interested in providing accommodation to households in housing need.

Financial incentives

Landlords that sign up for the private rental scheme can receive:

  • up to £6,000 cash incentive. 
  • the first month’s rent in advance. 
  • up to two-years free insurance against rent loss and tenant damage.

Full tenancy checks and tenant finding service

Landlords will receive:

  • quick lets and rent guaranteed whilst we undertake tenant matching. 
  • vetted tenants to ensure no history of anti-social behaviour or rent arrears.
  • a team of dedicated and experienced Accommodation Procurement Officers to discuss your letting needs. 

Free property accreditation

  • Free property inspection, inventory, and advice.
  • Assistance with compliance documentation such as Gas Safety Certificate, Electrical Certificate, Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and Selective Licensing (if applicable). 
  • We will pay for your property license if one is required.
  • We will inspect your property and advise of any works required to meet letting standards. 

Landlord insurance

London Borough of Waltham Forest has successfully secured central government funding for an insurance product for landlords which can:

  • Indemnify landlords against rent loss.
  • Cover damage to their properties (excluding wear and tear).
  • Cover legal costs.

What we are looking for

  • Family-sized accommodation in good condition and decorative order.
  • 24 months Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) Rents at the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) level.
  • Unfurnished and/or furnished properties.

What you will need to provide

Before we can use your property, we will need to inspect your property. You will need to provide us with the following:

  • Proof of property ownership
  • Licensing certificate where applicable
  • An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • A Gas Safety Certificate
  • An Electrical Safety Certificate

Let’s work together to support those in housing need.