Last updated: 23 November 2023

Next review: 23 November 2024

There are many support services available to support landlords and tenants with their energy costs. See below for a list of schemes, charities, and services that you can access.

Green Home Grant Waltham Forest

The Green Home Grant assists owners of privately rented property in the improvement of the energy efficiency of their properties. They do this through various support services such as:

  • Grant of up to £5,000 but the landlord has to contribute a third towards the cost of works.
  • Insulation measures – loft, wall, flat roof, or underfloor insulation.
  • Heat pump or solar thermal services.


Any tenant living in a D, E, F or G rated property with a household income below £40,000 a year.

The Private Sector Housing & Licensing Team can make a referral on behalf of a landlord to the Service Store team at Waltham Forest Council. The landlord should provide consent for the tenant's name, address, and contact information to be shared with the Service Store department. The landlord can do this by sending an email to

Healthy Start

Healthy Start is an NHS scheme that helps women who are pregnant or have young children and are in receipt of benefits, to buy food by supporting with:

  • Sending those eligible a Healthy Start card with money on it that can be used in some UK shops. This card will be topped up every 4 weeks. The card can be used to buy:

    • plain liquid cow’s milk

    • fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables

    • fresh, dried, and tinned pulses

    • infant formula milk based on cow’s milk

  • Vitamins that support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding. This includes vitamin drops for babies and young children which are suitable from birth to 4 years old.


Residents in receipt of Universal or Child credit can apply online if:

  • You are at least 10 weeks pregnant or have at least one child under 4 years old.
  • Your family monthly ‘take-home pay for this period’ is £408 or less from employment.
  • You are more than 10 weeks pregnant or are a family with a child under 4 years old.

If you get Child Tax Credit, you can apply online if:

  • You have at least one child under 4 years old.
  • Your family’s annual income is £16,190 or less.


Great Britain's independent energy regulator helping residents to that provides:

  • Government schemes and benefits.
  • Grants and services from energy suppliers.
  • Grants from charities.
  • Home energy checks.


You can check if you are eligible for Ofgem's services by visiting the Ofgem website.

Shine London

SHINE London offers a dedicated helpline and affordable warmth interventions. They ensure households get the help they need to reduce utility bills, tackle energy debt, and ultimately stay well and warm. They are offering a range of support such as:

  • Telephone support for energy and bills advice
  • Electricity and water discounts
  • Energy supplier comparisons
  • Priority service registration
  • Grants
  • Energy Doctor – Home visits to help to install energy-saving measures, review bills, liaise with suppliers, provide a heating-controls check and identify grant eligibility.


  • Households with low income and spending over 10% on energy
  • Older people aged 60 and over
  • Residents with long term health issues including respiratory or cardiovascular conditions
  • Families with children under 16 years old.

You can contact SHINE by calling 0207 527 6178. You can also send an email to, or visit the SHINE London Twitter page 

The HEET Project

The HEET project works with the community to make homes safe and healthy with affordable fuel bills and low carbon emissions. They offer support services such as:

  • Phone calls to residents to discuss their situation, give advice over the phone and arrange a home visit.
  • Home visits to carry out a survey, identifying possible energy efficiency improvements and advising on energy saving behaviours.
  • Help with installing small measures. This is includes draught proofing, LED lighting, and radiator panels. Large measures of help include wall insulation, loft insulation, floor insulation, heating and repairs.


  • Properties with a low Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating.
  • Low income households.
  • Someone in the household is over 60 or someone has a long-term illness or disability. 
  • Residents in receipt of income related or disability benefits or household income below the minimum income standard.

Contact HEET by calling 020 8520 1900, sending an email to or visiting the Heet Project website

Warmer Homes Grant

The Mayor of London’s Warmer Homes programme provides free heating, insulation, and ventilation improvements for low income Londoners. The grant supports those who own their own homes or rent privately by providing:

  • Grants of between £5,000 and £25,000 are available to eligible low-income homeowners and private tenants. Funding amounts depend on your existing energy efficiency rating, your tenure, and your current fuel type, for example gas, electricity, oil, or LPG.
  • Several options are available for applicants that qualify for the programme including, heat pumps, insulation for walls, lofts, and floors. Heating system improvements or repairs, draught proofing, and solar energy installations are also provided.


  • Live in Greater London

  • Own or rent your own home

  • Landlords can apply as long as the tenant is eligible. Tenants must be in receipt of a means-tested benefit OR have a low household income of less than £20,000 a year after rent or mortgage and council tax deductions.

  • Have a property Energy Performance Certificate rating of D, E, F, and G, ratings can be determined at the survey stage.

You can complete an application online or request a paper or larger print application by calling freephone 0800 029 3576.