Last updated: 16 March 2023
Next review: 10 March 2024
We set the amount of Council Tax you have to pay every year.
The Valuation Office Agency has put each property in England in one of eight bands based on its price on 1 April 1991.
We set the amount you have to pay for each band.
Council Tax guide and expenditure, 2023 to 2024
Examples of how the increase in your bill was calculated.
Band C example
|Band C||2023/24||2022/23||% increase/increase in pounds (£)||Explanation|
|Basic Council Tax||£1251.42||
|The increase in LBWF basic share of council tax is calculated by multiplying the core (LBWF basic share plus (adult social care precept) 2022/23 figure of £1372.75 by 2.99%.|
LBWF Adult Social Care Precept
|This charge is calculated on the “core” council tax element. For 2023/24 the precept is calculated by multiplying the core amount for 2022/23 i.e., £1372.75 multiplied by 2%. This equates to an increase of £27.46 on the 2022/23 precept of £162.38, bringing the total social care element up to £189.84|
|Total Core LBWF*||£1441.26||£1372.75||
|This comprises a 2.99% basic council tax increase and a 2.00% social care precept. This calculation is set by regulation to determine whether the proposed increase is in line with the appropriate annual referendum limits. This equates to £1372.75 multiplied by 4.99% giving a total of £68.51.|
|GLA Precept||£385.90||£351.64||9.74%||This represents an increase of £34.26.|
|This represents an increase of £102.77 and is comprised of £34.26 (GLA), £27.46 (Adult Social Care), and £41.05 (Core council services).|
The Total Core LBWF is Basic Council Tax Plus Adult Social Care added together.
- Council Tax Guide (PDF)
- Leaders Letter (PDF)
- Council Tax bills information 2023/24 (PDF)
- Financial Information 2023/24 (PDF)
- Greater London Authority 2023/24 (PDF)
- Levying Bodies 2023 to 2024
- Lee Valley Regional Park (PDF)
- London Pensions Fund (PDF)
- Environment Agency fund 2023 to 2024 (PDF)
Council Tax guide and expenditure, 2022 to 2023
- Your guide: Council Tax 22/23 (PDF)
- Council Tax bills information (PDF)
- Financial information (PDF)
- Greater London Authority 22/23 (PDF)
- Council Tax rebate
Council Tax guide and expenditure, 2021 to 2022
- Your guide: Council Tax 2021/22 (PDF)
- How your Council Tax is calculated and spending on Council Services 21 to 22 (PDF)
- Your Council Tax and Greater London Authority 21 to 22 (PDF)
- Levying Bodies 21 to 22
Council Tax guide and expenditure, 2020 to 2021
- Your Guide: Council Tax 2020 to 21 (PDF)
- How your Council Tax is calculated and spending on Council Services (Word)
- Your Council Tax and Greater London Authority (PDF)
- Levying Bodies Lee Valley 20 to 21
Council Tax guide and expenditure, 2019 to 2020
- Your guide: Council Tax 2019 to 20 (PDF)
- How your Council Tax is calculated (PDF)
- Spending on Council services (PDF)
- How the Greater London Authority uses Council Tax 2019 to 20 (PDF)
- Levying bodies (PDF)
How we use your Council Tax
We use your Council Tax to pay for many local services like emergency services, rubbish collection, libraries, schools, street lights and much more.
Some of the money goes to pay for the Greater London Authority (GLA) spending.
How we calculate your Council Tax
We calculate your Council Tax using the Valuation Office's bands and the GLA charges.