Highway licences


Licences for a scaffolding, hoarding or crane etc. for Street Works and application for Temporary Traffic Orders

In accordance with the Highways Act 1980 a licence is required for certain activities on the highway.  It is an offence to undertake them without permission - breaking the law could result in confiscation of the materials and court action against both the hirer or owners of the materials and the people who delivered them.  For building materials a licence will be granted only in exceptional circumstances if there is nowhere else to keep them.  A highway can include carriageways, footways and verges.

A Street works licence or permit is required for excavation in the highway.  A Temporary Traffic Order may be required if traffic or parking restrictions are necessary.

For Skip licences, please visit our skip licence information page.

Download the Highway Licence form

  • Complete the form and save it on your computer; then email the form with all attachments to nrswa.admin@walthamforest.gov.uk
  • Pay the appropriate fee, as instructed on the application form.
  • Please allow at least five working days between the date of the receipt of your application by the council, and the date on which the activity is intended to commence.  It might not be possible to agree your preferred date if there are conflicting activities in the road, or if insufficient information is received.  Once approved the licence will be sent to you, with any conditions attached.  Do not commence activities until a licence is received.
  • Licences are subject to all the conditions as listed on the application form plus any additional conditions added to the licence.
  • Ensure that by the date the licence expires you have cleared the site.  If an extension is required apply at least five working days before expiry.

From 1 April 2021

Licence Duration Fee
Scaffolding 30 days £550
Hoarding 30 days £550
Crane 5 days £550
Container 30 days £900
Compound 30 days £900
Materials 14 days £100


Street Works Licence Click to get info

Most utility works are carried out by statutory undertakers, and they apply directly to the Council for a street works permit.  Qualified contractors undertaking other works (e.g. for new drainage connections) need a licence (section 50) to open or tunnel through the public highway.

Download the Street Works Licence application form

Application conditions, costs and payment details are on the form.​

Temporary Traffic Order Click to get info

A temporary traffic order is required if traffic restrictions (for example: road closure, banned turn, parking restrictions* etc) are necessary for street works.

Download the Temporary Traffic Order application form 

Application conditions, costs and payment details are on the form.

* For parking restrictions, a Traffic Order is required where there are no existing parking controls. Where there are existing parking bays, apply for a parking suspension.


Contact Click to get info

Highways Network Opperations
Phone:  020 8496 3000
Email: nrswa.admin@walthamforest.gov.uk