Last updated: 1 February 2024

Next review: 1 February 2025

Only a registered skip owner or supplier can apply for a permit. The charge for this is £145.

You can hire skips from skip hiring companies who are registered with us. 

View our registered skip company list​ (PDF)

Apply for skip permit (registered suppliers only)

One skip may be placed at a single location at a time.

Only the skip operator can apply, using the ‘Pay for a skip licence’ link on the right-hand side of this page. You should apply for a skip permit at least two working days before the start date. Do not place the skip until you get the permit.

You must provide the following details along with the fee:

  • Customer Reference: Enter the name of your company.
  • Message Box:  Enter the licence start date and address where the skip is being placed including postcode

The maximum licence period for a skip is 14 days. After this time, you must apply for a new skip permit.

The permit is not automatically granted.
Approval is subject to site inspection and all conditions being met. We may issue a permit with special conditions attached by of our inspector.

The skip company is responsible for the following:

  • Ensuring the skip is sited as stated on the permit and is lit during the hours of darkness
  • Ensuring that the skip is marked with the owner's name and telephone number or address
  • Ensuring the skip does not exceed 5m in length by 2m in width and 6.12 cubic metres in volume (8 Cubic Yards).
  • Ensuring any additional conditions detailed in the permit are adhered to.
  • Once the permit has been granted, it will be issued via email directly to the skip company. There is a fine if a skip is on the road without a permit.

Apply for a skip operator licence

To apply for a licence, simply email us and ask to be added to the approved skip operators' list

Read the Skip Licence Terms and Conditions (PDF)

Registration process

After application, we may grant permission to the skip owner operating company. This will include certain conditions, such as:

  • Public liability insurance of at least £5m
  • Waste carrier licence
  • Siting the skip
  • Its dimensions
  • Making skips immediately visible to oncoming traffic
  • The care and disposal of its contents
  • How it is to be lighted or guarded
  • Its removal at the end of the licence period

Regulation summary

See a summary of the licence eligibility criteria on the Office of Public Sector Information website.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you've not heard from us within five working days, contact us by email or phone.

Consumer complaint

If you want to make a complaint, you should first contact the trader directly - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that doesn't work, if you're in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau give advice on your consumer rights - Adviceline 0808 278 7838

From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Please get in touch and ask for our highways network team for matters concerning:

  • Licence-holder redress
  • Failed application redress
  • Other redress - include complaints about another aspect of the operation such as noise, pollution or public health

For any enquiries

For any enquiries about skip licensing, or to report a skip without a permit contact us by:


Waltham Forest Council

Low Hall Depot
Argall Avenue
London E10 7AS

Help with completing online forms

For those without computers, you can use a self-service PC in any Waltham Forest Library

Staff there can help you to log in and create a MyAccount.