Who can apply? Click to get info
You can apply if you work for the fire, police or health services and use a vehicle for essential business the borough.
If you work for LBWF directly, you are not eligible for an Essential Permit . Please access the Intranet where there is further information on how apply for a Staff Essential Permit.
Where you can park Click to get info
This parking permit entitles the user to park the vehicle displaying a valid permit in:
- PayByPhone bays
- Pay and Display bays
- short stay parking bays (without time limitation)
- council run Pay and Display car parks (excluding leisure centres)
and in all other permit parking bays while on official duty.
Where you cannot park Click to get info
Essential user permits are not valid in:
- emergency service bays
- market trader bays (MT)
- catering bays (CAT) or in bays designated for a specific reasons (for example: loading bays) or any bay that has been suspended
or on yellow lines.
Only doctors essential user permits are valid in doctors bays.
Things you need to know Click to get info
Please ensure you renew your permit before it expires – the responsibility for renewals rests with the permit holder.
Please also note that:
- the information on this form may be used by the council in line with the Data Protection Act 1998 and this to may be passed within the council and other bodies in order to help prevent fraud
- submission of the permit application form is confirmation that you agree to its terms and conditions of use
- it is the user's responsibility to ensure that the permit is clearly displayed on the vehicle associated with the permit. Any vehicle not displaying a valid permit may be issued a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)
- permits can only be issued to vehicles that do not exceed 2.3 metres in height or 5.25 metres in length
- the permit is only valid on vehicles with a current road fund licence
- permits will not be issued to applicants with outstanding unchallenged Penalty Charge Notices (PCN’s)
- the issue of a permit does not guarantee the user a parking space
- the council has the right to suspend parking bays at any time
Things you'll need to let us know Click to get info
Please let us know if:
- you change a vehicle and have an existing valid permit
- your permit is lost or stolen
If you change your vehicle and have an existing valid permit, you must surrender that permit, complete a further application form and pay the appropriate fee. You can register a change of vehicle using the online form or alternatively you can register by post by downloading an essential user parking permit application form (719KB, PDF) file and sending it with evidence to the Parking Control Office
If your permit is lost or stolen it will be immediately rendered invalid. You will need to report this, complete an application form and pay the appropriate fee for a replacement permit. You will be asked to provide the crime reference number supplied by the police. You can post it by downloading an essential user parking permit application form (719KB, PDF) and sending it to the Parking Control Office.
How much do essential user permits cost? Click to get info
Engine Capacity / CO2 emission (g/km)
Period 1 Year
Up to 100g/km
101 – 170g/km or up to 1549cc
over 171g/km or 1549cc
Changes and refund fees
- Change of VRM – Free of charge
- Change of Address - £15
- Refund - £20
What evidence do I need to provide? Click to get info
Proof of employment
Letter from employer (on company headed paper) confirming your:
- employment status
- vehicle registration, make, model and colour
- reason for using the vehicle
Proof of insurance
- Copy of insurance document showing the vehicle is insured for business use
Proof of Identification
- Driving Licence
Apply and pay for essential user parking permits Click to get info
Waltham Forest Council retains the right to carry our random checks on permits in order to check the information supplied in the application.
You can apply for a new permit and renew your permit online:
You'll need to:
- register your account to use the service if you haven’t already
- have a debit or credit card ready pay for your permit
- have copies of your documents of proof
Photos of documents of proof will be accepted in the following file formats: DOC, DOCX, PDF, GIF, PNG or JPEG file.
You may not need to upload any documents of proof during your application but you may be asked to supply copies of those documents at a later date.
If you don’t supply documents when asked, your permit may be cancelled and your vehicle will become subject to enforcement action.
Please allow 1 working day to receive a response from the parking control office about your online requests.
To apply or renew by post you’ll need to:
- fill out an application form
- send payment and
- provide documents of proof
Payment should be made by cheque or postal order payable to 'LBWF'. Please do not send cash through the post.
Download the Essential user parking permit application form (719KB PDF file).
To get an application form sent to you by post, contact our permit team by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on 0203 092 0112, option 3 for assistance.
Provide your full name and postal address and your application form will be sent to you the next working day.
You can also drop off permit application forms at the following libraries:
This is a drop off service and your applications will not be checked by a member of library staff. You must include documents of proof and payment with your application form.
If you don't fill in your form fully or include payment it will cause a significant delay to the process of getting your permit.
If you don’t provide telephone and email contact details in your application your application will be disregarded and your permit will not be issued.
Please allow 10 days for your permit to arrive if you apply by post or the library drop off service.