Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Last updated: 22 December 2022


Two women looking at information on ipad

With costs going up, many residents will be worried about money right now. A wide range of financial support and advice is available to those who need it.  

If you are on a low income, you may be eligible for one of the following support schemes: 

  • Universal Credit – a monthly payment that can help you with your living expenses and housing costs, including your rent.   

  • Housing Benefit – a payment usually received through Universal Credit, to help you pay your rent. You can apply for Housing Benefit separately if you have reached state pension age or live in supported, sheltered, or temporary housing. 

  • Council Tax Support – help with paying your Council Tax bill if you are struggling. There is a government funded scheme for pension-aged residents and a council funded scheme for working age residents.  

  • Discretionary Housing Payments – these can help you if you are having difficulty meeting your housing costs or Council Tax bill. You can read more about the eligibility criteria and apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, if you are eligible.

  • Local Welfare Assistance – if you are receiving one of the above already and are still struggling to pay for bills and essentials, you may qualify for Local Welfare Assistance, to help pay for essential household items. 


You can get free financial advice from a variety of local and national services, including:  

  • Citizens Advice Waltham Forest – an independent service providing advice on various issues including money, benefits, housing, employment, and more. They can also help you apply for further aid. 

  • Age UK Waltham Forest - offer financial advice and support such as free benefits checks, as well as assistance with benefit applications such as Pension Credit and Carers Allowance, amongst others. 

  • Debt Free Advice – provide expert advice if you are experiencing problem debt. 

  • National Debt Line – an independent debt advice service providing free advice over the phone and online. They also provide practical support on their website such as budgeting tools. 


Forest Savers

Forest Savers is the Council's credit union, which is now also open to residents of the borough. Forest Savers offer loans for those who don’t have a good credit rating, and are currently offering a 3 month 0% loan for repayment in 2023.

To find out more, email or call 0208 531 5221.