Last updated: 3 May 2023
How to become a school governor
To be appointed as a school governor you must be:
- At least 18 years old, there's no upper age limit
- Have or be willing to undergo enhanced DBS check upon their selection
- Elected or appointed for a specific term of office of up to four years, once appointed all governors have the same voting rights.
How to apply
There are always vacancies for skilled, knowledgeable governors.
- All Governing Boards are encouraged to complete a full skills analysis to ensure they have enough expertise to carry out their duties
- School governors can come from all aspects of the local community, can take on and learn a lot through the role and do not need any formal qualifications
- The only requirement is to give time and commitment, and personally enjoy a rewarding role
If you are interested in becoming a school governor, please download the school governor application pack (Word), fill it in and return it to the address below.
Once you have submitted your form, Governor Services will forward it to the appropriate schools or academies that currently have governor vacancies.
If you are applying in response to an advert placed by a school advertising for parent governors, please respond to the school advert directly within the advertised timelines.