Our Planning Enforcement Team investigates alleged breaches of planning control.

We investigate

  • change of use commercial: use of the building/site is changed without planning permission
  • change of use residential: use of a residential is changed without planning permission
  • domestic extension: building works are carried out without planning permission or planning conditions are not kept
  • flat conversation: property that has been converted into flats without planning permission
  • Home in Multiple Occupation: property that is used as a HMO without planning permission
  • unauthorised advertising: advertisement is displayed without planning permission
  • untidy land
  • high hedges or trees
  • oversized/ multiple satellite dishes
  • oversized walls and fences
  • hardstanding/ drives
  • dropped kerbs
  • building works in conservation area/ listed building
  • works to a tree preservation order
  • people living in outbuilding
  • building works not in keeping with the approved plans

We don't investigate

How to make a complaint

Before making a complaint you should check to see if permission has been granted.

In some cases, people can do work without needing planning permission.

If you think a development doesn't have planning permission, you should tell us about it today. You can tell us through the planning enforcement enquiry form.

Further information

View our Enforcement Register

You can see planning enforcements since 2015 on the Waltham Forest Enforcement Register

You can see previous planning enforcements here.

The planning enforcement office offers a discretionary service to issue written confirmation of compliance with an enforcement notice and will withdraw an enforcement notice for a fee of £600. This service provides the advantage of furnishing you with an official document of assurance, which could prove beneficial for future sales or financing and includes:

  • A site inspection – if it deemed necessary.
  • Removal of the notice from the local land charges register.
  • Withdrawal notice- if we are satisfied there is no possibility that the breach could reoccur.

To request written confirmation of compliance and to seek the withdrawal of an enforcement notice please submit your request by email to planning.enforcement@walthamforest.gov.uk with the following information:

  • Full address
  • The planning breach and the details of the dates and steps that were taken to comply.
  • The enforcement reference number.
  • Attach a copy of the enforcement notice.
  • Provide any documentation, photographs you have to prove that compliance has been achieved.

Payment instructions will be provided to you following an initial review.

Any questions or want to see earlier registers

Contact details