Last updated: 9 February 2024

Next review: 9 February 2025

Help with housing: Privately renting / homeowner

If you are in danger right now, please call 999 and ask for the police.

People can leave their homes if escaping domestic violence.

Free 24/7 domestic abuse helpline: 0808 2000 247

Housing Advice Team contact

If you are experiencing domestic abuse of any kind, and need help to access safe housing, please contact our Housing Advice team:

Telephone: 020 8496 3000


24/7 service with out of hour phoneline

Who will work with you?

Housing Advice Officer

Your case will be given to a Housing Advice Officer. We will open your case within 24 hours or sooner depending on your issue. We will contact you through the safest method of contact this may be via telephone or a virtual interview. You can speak to your Housing Advice Officer in confidence and they will discuss the support and options available to you.

Independent Domestic Violence Advisor

You will also be provided with an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor to ensure that you are supported through the process. They can help you with everything they need to become safe and rebuild your life. If needed, they will represent your voice at a Multi-agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC), as well as helping you understand the criminal justice process.

Action plan

We will create an action plan that protects the safety of you and your family. Depending on your wishes and the level of risk, there are many options available:

Remaining in your home

If you do not want to leave your home, there are options available to reduce the risk to you and to support you to feel safe within your home setting. These options may include being supported to apply for Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders and working with your landlord to make the property safe.

For more information on the legal options available to you, please see the National Centre for Domestic Violence and Rights of Women websites. 

Leaving home

If it is unsafe for you to remain in your home your Housing Advice officer will work with the housing solution service to find you temporary accommodation (short term emergency housing). Your temporary accommodation may be in another area inside or outside of the borough to protect you from the perpetrator (person causing the harm). The temporary accommodation that is provided will be the right size for your family. This will just be a temporary arrangement whilst your Housing Advice officer works to move you back into your home. If it is too dangerous for you to return to the Waltham Forest area, we can refer you to another local authority; you will be given a homeless duty, placed in temporary accommodation and be made an offer of secured accommodation.


If you are placed in temporary accommodation inside or outside of the borough, we will work to return you to your original address when it is safe to do so. If your original address is not safe to return to, your Housing Advice Officer will work to find you with another accommodation (place to stay). We will help to provide you with a move on the option that is right for your household in private or social housing.