Last updated: 9 February 2024

Next review: 9 February 2025

Help with housing: Accommodated by us in temporary accommodation

If you are in danger right now, please call 999 and ask for the police.

People can leave their homes if fleeing domestic violence.

Free 24/7 domestic abuse helpline: 0808 2000 247

Housing Advice Team contact

If you are a Housing Association Tenant and are experiencing abuse of any kind, please contact our Housing Advice team:

Telephone: 020 8496 3000


24/7 service with out of hour phoneline

020 8496 3000 (You should also contact the tenancy team at your housing association. We will contact them on your behalf once you have contacted us.)

Who will work with you?

Temporary Accommodation Resettlement Support Officer (TARSO)

A TARSO will be assigned to your case. We will open your case within 24 hours or sooner depending on your situation. We will contact you through the safest method of contact this may be via telephone, your current temporary accommodation or a virtual interview. You can speak to your TARSO in confidence and they will discuss the support and options available to you.

Independent Domestic Violence Advisor

You will also be provided with an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor to ensure that you are supported through the process. They can help you with everything they need to become safe and rebuild your life. If needed, they will represent your voice at a Multi-agency Risk Assessment Conference (MARAC), as well as help you understand the criminal justice process.

Action plan

We will create an action plan that protects the safety of you and your family. Depending on your wishes and the level of risk, there are many options available:

Remaining in your home

If you do not want to leave your home, there are options available to reduce the risk to you and to support you to feel safe within your home setting. These options may include being supported to apply for Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders and working with your landlord to make the property safe.

For more information on the legal options available to you, please see the National Centre for Domestic Violence and Rights of Women websites. 

Leaving your current temporary accommodation

If it is unsafe for you to remain in your current temporary accommodation (place you are staying) the Temporary Accommodation placement team will work to find you a different temporary accommodation (short-term emergency housing). This different temporary accommodation may be in another area inside or outside of the borough to protect you from the perpetrator (person causing the harm). The temporary accommodation that is provided will be the right size for your family.