Last updated: 6 December 2023

Next review: 6 December 2024

Energy upgrade loan


Improving your home’s energy efficiency - for example by adding insulation - is vital to reducing bills, combating the climate crisis, and addressing fuel poverty. Residents have told us that cost is the main barrier to upgrading their home’s energy efficiency, with many expressing a desire for more financial support from the Council. We are launching this Energy Upgrade Loan to help.

Energy upgrade loan details

Waltham Forest Council is offering an interest free loan to eligible owner-occupiers and landlords in Waltham Forest Council areas with an energy rating (EPC) of D or lower to help with the cost of installing: 

  • energy efficiency improvements, for example, roof and loft insulation, wall insulation, floor insulation, windows and doors, double and triple glazing;
  • low and zero emission heating, for example, air source and ground source heat pumps and;
  • renewables energy, for example, solar PV, solar thermal

You can combine funding for energy efficiency improvements, low and zero emission heat and other renewable technologies, for example, the £7,500 offered by the government through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. The minimum funding you can apply for under the scheme is £2,000 and the maximum funding is £20,000. 

The loan funding covers up to 100% of the installation cost of your improvement.

Application journey

Ribbons in different colours with text showing application Journey

How to apply

We are working with the Energy Saving Trust to offer the Energy Upgrade Loan to encourage residents and landlords to make energy-efficient improvements.

To find out more, get in touch.  

Please read the terms and conditions for full eligibility criteria. 

Energy upgrade assessment requirements

To receive funding, you must have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and all the improvements you are applying for have been recommended in one of these energy reports: 

  1. Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) 
  2. Homewise Report 

Energy performance certificates (EPCs)  

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are issued by accredited Domestic Energy Assessors. To check whether a property already has an EPC or to search for an accredited assessor, visit find an energy certificate  

If your energy performance certificate (EPC) is more than 5 years old, you'll need to obtain a new one upon application. However, if your EPC is less than 5 years old, you won't require a new one until you submit a claim. 

To get a new Energy Performance Certificate visit the following websites to help locate a trusted provider

If you are successful in obtaining a loan, you can use your loan to pay for Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) that are required as supporting evidence for your application. The funding available is up to a maximum of £150 per EPC. 

Energy Saving Trust Homewise reports  

To view recommended energy upgrades, complete a short assessment through the Energy Saving Trust online tool Homewise 


If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact