Last updated: 11 July 2023

Next review: 11 July 2024

Eligibility for Council Tax Support

You will usually get some of your Council Tax paid (unless there other adults living with you) if you receive:

  • income-based Jobseekers' Allowance, or
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit

You can also get some Council Tax Support if you’re on a low income. The amount you get will depend on:

  • your income
  • the amount of council tax you have to pay
  • the amount of money you and your family need to live on
  • whether other adults share your home

The maximum help that working-age people can receive is to get 85 per cent of their bill paid, which means that you have to pay at least 15 per cent yourself.

Working age people can't normally get Council Tax Support if they have savings of £6,000 or more, and this savings limit increases to £16,000 for pensioners.