Last updated: 10 November 2021
Many people who could be claiming a benefit do not realise that they are entitled.
They miss out because they don't know that a particular benefit exists, or else they think that they have too much money coming in or too much in the bank to qualify. However, many benefits are paid no matter how much you have coming in.
Other benefits that do take into account your savings and income are known as means-tested benefits. Many people miss out on these as they have applied in the past and been refused but their finances have changed or the amounts needed have been reduced by the government
If you need help looking at what benefits could help you, you could go to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or Age UK office.
The GOV.UK website can also help you find out what benefits you might be entitled to. It covers benefits such as:
- Disability benefits including Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance
- Benefits and financial support if you're caring for someone including Carer's Allowance and Carer's Credit
- Benefits and financial support for families including Child Benefit
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
- Winter fuel payments
- Help with housing and other living costs
- Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) and Income Support