Care and support describes the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any mental, physical or emotional illness or disability they may have. It includes the help given by family and friends, as well as any provided by the council or other organisations.

Finding out what support and help you might need

The process of receiving care and support begins with a needs assessment.

During this process we’ll create a support plan, find out what you’re eligible for and work out any personal budget you may be entitled to.

If you find it difficult to express yourself, then a independent advocate could help you.

In Waltham Forest there is support available to vulnerable residents via the voluntary sector as well as the local authority, and we aim to help you to access the support that will best meet your needs. We want to help you to stay as independent as possible in your own home, to give you choices about how you live your life and the care you receive.

Are you looking after, or caring, for someone?

In England, millions of people provide unpaid care or support to an adult family member or friend, either in their own home or somewhere else.

Caring for someone covers lots of different things, like helping with their washing, dressing or eating, taking them to regular appointments or keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious.

If this sounds like you, visit our carers section and find out how to get help.

What am I entitled to?

You can now check to see if you might be eligible for support by answering some quick questions about your current situation using our self assessment tool.

The tool will also direct you towards information, advice and services that could help you to live independently and improve your wellbeing.