If you are an adult with care and support needs, you can request an assessment to help decide how best to meet your needs and if you are eligible for statutory support.

The assessment is a discussion between you and a professional from the Council, it will cover different topics and you will be asked about the goals you want to achieve that will help you to maintain or improve your wellbeing.

Your assessment can be done face-to-face or over the telephone and will include talking to you about:

  • any physical needs you have, such as washing and dressing, preparing meals or moving around
  • your mental and emotional wellbeing, such as your memory or mood changes
  • anything that’s important to you, this may be spending time with others or attending activities/hobbies

You may have support from family, friends, or other organisations already, such as the NHS. If you do not have any support from other organisations, we may identify what services you might want to access during your assessment. We will discuss how we work with other organisations, so you don’t have to provide the same information to lots of different people.

You’ll be given a written copy of your assessment with an explanation of any decisions made.

Asking for a needs assessment

To ask for an assessment, please contact us.


Contact details

020 8496 3000 (Fax: 020 8496 1813)


Adult Social Care Team

You can also use the:

Self assessment tool

If you’re not eligible for support from us, we’ll give you information and advice about what services are available to you locally, to help you remain independent and well.

All councils in England must now work to the national minimum threshold for adult care and support needs, which was introduced on 1 April 2015.

Self assessment

You can check to see if you might be eligible for support by answering some quick questions about your current situation using our self assessment tool.

The tool will also signpost you towards information, advice and services that could help you to live independently and improve your wellbeing.

Paying for your care

If your assessment shows that you’re eligible for care and support from us, you may have to pay towards its cost.

So that we can work out you how much you'll need to pay, you’ll have to disclose details about your savings, assets and income.


You have the choice of representing yourself, having a carer do it or someone else who you know. 

If you have a lot of difficulty being involved in the assessment and don't have anyone you can ask to help, we’ll find someone to be your independent advocate.

After your assessment

When your assessment is complete we will decide if your care and support needs are at a level that makes you eligible for support.

You may be eligible for help from us if your illness or disability means you’re unable to do, or have major difficulty doing, some normal day-to-day activities that seriously affect your wellbeing.

If you’re eligible for help we’ll explain what help could be available through your personal budget for care and support. Your personal budget will be calculated based on the information provided to us during your assessment and is used to fund your care and support.

These arrangements will be agreed with you and described in a care and support plan.