Who qualifies for social care support?

Deciding if an adult with care and support needs is eligible for help from the Council.

Last updated: 22 August 2023

Next review: 22 August 2024

All council's in England must now work to the national minimum threshold for adult care and support needs which was introduced on 1 April 2015. Find out more about national eligibility criteria.

In deciding if an adult with care and support needs has eligible needs the council must have first completed a needs assessment.

  1. Do the adult's needs arise from or are related to a physical or mental impairment or illness they have?
  2. As a result of the adult's needs, is the adult unable to achieve two or more of the outcomes specified in the eligibility criteria regulations?
  3. As a consequence is there or is there likely to be a significant impact on the adult's wellbeing?

If the answer to all three of these questions is "yes, the new regulations then sets out a range of outcomes to achieve and these include

  • managing and maintaining nutrition (does the person  have access to food and drink, are they able to prepare and eat food and drink?)
  • maintaining personal hygiene (can the person was themselves and launder clothes?)
  • managing toilet needs
  • being appropriately clothed (can the person dress themselves and be dressed in relation to the weather?)
  • being able to use their home safely
  • maintaining a habitable home environment (is the home sufficiently clean and maintained in order to be safe and is their access to amenities such as water, gas and electricity?)
  • developing and maintaining family other personal relationships (is the person lonely or isolated?)
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational opportunities
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities the adult has for a child

As part of your needs assessment the council will tell you it's decisions about your eligible needs in writing

This will include information about how to complain if you or representative believe the decision is wrong.