Last updated: 17 October 2023
Religious Education (RE) in schools celebrate the diversity of religions and human experience.
Every maintained school in England must provide the basic curriculum which includes RE (although, it is not part of the National Curriculum).
The Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE) is responsible for determining the RE syllabus for local authority run or funded schools in Waltham Forest.
The role of SACRE
By law, each local authority (LA) is required to establish a SACRE. The group's role is to:
- Advise the LA on matters connected with RE in community schools and foundation schools which do not have a religious character
- Ensure RE is taught according to the locally agreed syllabus
- To advise the authority and its teachers on matters concerning collective worship
- Determine on behalf of the LA whether it is appropriate to provide daily collective worship and if, according to the legal requirements, it needs to be modified for all or some of the pupils of the school
- Produce and publish an annual report of its work
SACRE is made up of four groups:
- Group A: Representatives of other faiths and religions, including Christian denominations (except Church of England)
- Group B: The Church of England
- Group C: Teachers' professional associations / teachers in the borough
- Group D: Elected members from the majority and minority parties, a representative of the LA and Governors of local schools
Members of these groups are nominated by their respective organisations.
SACRE meeting dates, agendas and minutes
Agenda and Minutes (2022):
- Agenda: 2 February (PDF)
- Minutes: 2 February (PDF)
- Agenda: 25 May (PDF)
- Minutes: 25 May (PDF)
- Minutes: 6 July (PDF)
- Agenda: 28 September (PDF)
- Minutes: 28 September (PDF)
- Agenda: (AGM) 28 September (PDF)
- Minutes: (AGM) 28 September (PDF)
Agenda and minutes (2021):
- Agenda: 21 January (PDF)
- Minutes: 27 January (PDF)
- Minutes: 21 April (PDF)
- Agenda: 7 July (PDF)
- Agenda: 29 September (PDF)
- Agenda: 20 October (PDF)
- Minutes: (AGM) 20 October (PDF)
- Minutes: 20 October (PDF)
- Agenda: 14 December (PDF)
- Minutes:14 December (PDF
SACRE's meeting schedule for 2021/2022 (PDF) includes main topics of discussion too.