Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

What happens if I become homeless?

I need advice on my housing options, what documents/information should I have?

You will need to supply the following for each member of your household:

  • Proof of identity, such as a passport, birth certificate or Home Office documents, EU Settlement Status
  • Information relating to why you are homeless, such as a Notice to Quit (NTQ), or Notice of Eviction from your landlord (Section 8 or 21); Possession Order Bailiff Warrant, or anything else that is relevant
  • Proof of your income, such as benefits or payslips

Details of medical condition/s that affect your housing needs i.e. a doctor's or hospital letter

  • Discharge papers if you've recently been discharged from the military
  • Your risk assessment if you are subject to MAPPA conditions.
  • Your licence/release papers or any documents relating to conditions of your release from any prison sentence,

I'm separating from my partner; will I be homeless?

The law is complicated regarding finances and who can remain in the home when a couple splits up. A specialist advisor or solicitor can look into your situation and make sure you don’t give up any rights you have. You can find a solicitor on GOV.UK.

What you need to do depends on whether:

  • you’re married
  • you're unmarried
  • you're in a civil partnership
  • what type of tenancy you have
  • whether you own your home

The Citizen’s Advice website explains what happens to your home when you separate, giving clear advice for each situation.


For further information on how to find a home, please download our guides: