Last updated: 26 February 2024

Next review: 26 February 2025

If you're ready to look for a job there are benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance, to help you. Jobseeker's Allowance includes a payment that helps with any mortgage interest you have to pay. You may also be paid Universal Credit or Housing Benefit to help you pay rent.

Alternatively you may be able to get a mortgage interest run-on. You may get this if certain other benefits are stopping because you are returning to work. If you qualify you will be paid mortgage interest run on for the first four weeks you are in full-time work.

Universal Credit
Universal Credit is the current benefit designed to give financial assistance to people who want to work. Universal Credit provides support for housing costs, children, childcare costs, disabled people and carers. It has replaced:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit is available for claimants who are in work and on low incomes, as well as for those who are out of work. This means that there is continuous support if you're moving in and out of work - Universal Credit support doesn't suddenly stop during the critical period when you start a new job or increase your part-time hours.

Other financial support
If you're 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could apply for Discretionary Learner Support. This can help to pay for things such as accommodation and transport, course materials, equipment and even childcare.

You may no longer be eligible for Carer's Allowance or Income Support if the person you look after goes into a residential or nursing home. You must inform the Carer's Allowance Unit or Jobcentre Plus about any change in your circumstances or those of the person you care for.

The Government has also published detailed guidance on support available for unpaid adult carers.