Last updated: 15 February 2024
Next review: 24 August 2024
We can collect large and unwanted items for re-use, recycle or disposal.
When booking a large item collection you can choose from 3 options:
- large household items, to see if your item is eligible for collection and get advice on what to do with it, use our large item checker before booking
- large electrical items such as white goods collection
- or use the house and garden clearance service
Large household items collections
We will collect up to 5 items free of charge per booking.
Please check the large item checker to see what items can be collected. For any items that are not on the list please visit a reuse and recycling centre to dispose of the item or contact Service Store.
If your item is in a good enough condition to be used by someone else please let us know by booking a reuse collection. These reusable items will be passed onto the TCL Reuse Centre where items can be sold in TCL Reuse Centre shop.
You can also pay for a speedier collection should you want your items collected quicker than the date shown to you when booking.
Items that we don't collect:
- Items which are too heavy and would require more than 2 people to move
- Electrical or Electronic items - includes most products that have a plug or need a battery
- Glass or mirrored items – please remove any glass or any mirrors from your items and take this to your local recycling centre
On collection day
On collection day, please
- leave your items in your front garden within the boundary of your property by 6am.
- ensure the items are accessible and visible to the collection crew from the highway.
Please do not leave items on the public highway.
Any items left on the public highway can be classified as fly-tipping and you may be liable to a £400 fixed penalty notice for fly-tipping.
Please note items booked for disposal need to be collected from the front of your property. The large item crew cannot enter your home or any other part of your property aside from your front garden to take your items. Items booked for a reuse collection will be taken from inside your property; the ground floor only.
Preloved items that can be reused
The Council offers a preloved collection service where your items will be passed on to a TCL Reuse Centre for reuse. We accept most preloved furniture in a good and clean condition.
Reuse bookings will be prioritised for collection between 8am and midday on the scheduled collection day. You will need to be home to give the collection crew access and they will let you know in advance when they are on their way. All reuse booking items will need to be kept inside the ground floor of your home until the crew arrives. This prevents damage to the item.
Passing on items for reuse saves resources, reduces waste and helps the local community furnish their homes.
There are terms and conditions (PDF) that you need to agree to in order to receive this service.
Supported large item collections (currently suspended)
For residents who usually receive a supported bin collection service from the Council, we aim to offer a supported large item collection service. When available this can be selected as an option within your online booking. The large item collection crew will enter your property and collect the booked items from the ground floor of your property.
Cancel a large item collection
You can amend or cancel a booking you have made with the Council.
You will need to give two working days’ notice to make any amends or to cancel a booking.
Please log in to My Account. You can amend or cancel your booking from there.
Report a missed large item collection
If the booked item(s) wasn't collected on the specified date, you can report it as a missed large item collection. Please note you have until 10pm 20 working days after your scheduled booking to report it as missed.
Please log in, or sign up, to My Account and report it as a missed large item collection. If there's a reason why we couldn't pick it up, you'll find this information in your booking.
Book a large electrical item collection
The Waltham Forest Service Store team will collect the following large electrical items:
- air conditioners
- clothes dryers
- washing machines
They can only collect up to three items in one go. Oversized items count as two.
- £27 for one standard size item
- £38 for two standard size items
- £38 for one oversize item
- £48.50 for three standard size items
- £48.50 for one oversize and one standard item
- standard items: are too large to fit easily in a car, but less than a one cubic yard in volume (0.765 cubic meters)
- oversized items: are anything larger than this
On collection day
Your item(s) must be ready at 8.30am for collection. If the item(s) are being collected from inside your property, please make sure you’re in when the team arrive and that the appliance is disconnected.
To amend or cancel a booking or report a missed electrical large item collection
Please respond to the confirmation email you received.
House and garden clearance service
If you would like your house or garden cleared, please get in touch with Waltham Forest Service Store.
This is a chargeable service.