We want to ‘keep, seed and grow’ local businesses – with a targeted approach to specific sectors. Our aim is to ensure our economy thrives and overall productivity increases.
In 2015, we had the highest percentage growth in the number of businesses of all London boroughs (16.5 per cent).
To build on this, we will boost our business offer and expand our business support service. We will also support sector growth in the creative, construction and urban services sectors.
To do this, we will:
- Launch the Waltham Forest Business Offer. This includes enhanced business support, better communications, ideas events and signposting to business services.
- Promote and invest in the growth sectors of creative industries, construction and urban services.
- Set up a forum for the borough’s top 20 companies to work on key issues facing business and explore how companies will promote growth.
- Set up the Waltham Forest Workspace Initiative with council sponsorship providing land and resources . The aim is to work with providers to increase workspace provision in the borough.
- Promote the Blackhorse Lane Creative Partnership that supports the creative industries by providing business space, training and workspace brokerage.
- Promote the Walthamstow Hoe Street Corridor for creative, digital and high tech businesses.
- Open the Chestnuts Creative Enterprise Centre as a hub for business, training and community activities.
- Develop the Town Hall campus as a civic hub.
- Protect and enhance businesses in the Lea Bridge/Leyton area.
- Protect land for employment use through clear planning policies and master plans and encourage investment, repurposing and regeneration of business space.
- Launch a campaign to support the borough's smallest businesses to capture the opportunities of growth and modernisation. These are often located on the edge of the town centres and other local retail areas.
- Work with businesses on their corporate responsibilities to their local communities including community activities and social investment.