Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Comment on applications

Find out how to comment on planning applications, what you can and can't comment on and what happens after.

Last updated: 5 January 2022

How to comment on planning applications

If you have a comment on a planning application, you need to tell us:

  • in writing
  • within the 'consultation period'

The consultation period usually lasts for 21 days (or 14 days for amended plans). This begins the date the application is registered (it's also published on this day). 

If you have questions about an application, or need more information, contact the relevant Planning Officer. You'll find their details online when you search for the planning application. You can also use the portal to comment on planning applications. 

View an application 

To view an application, you do not need to log in.

The best way to search for an application is with the six-digit reference.

Select search and the results of your search will appear at the bottom of the page.

To view the planning application in more detail, select view.

Comment on an application 

To comment on a planning application you must be logged in.

To log in select ‘log in’ on the right side menu. Or register for an account.

After you've logged in, when searching for planning applications you can add a comment. Once submitted, your comment will then be sent to the planning team. 

If you’re having trouble using the portal, we recommend trying a different browser.

What happens after you comment

Most applications are decided by senior planning officers.

If your application is considered by the planning committee we'll send you a letter. It will tell you the meeting date and you should address the committee.

To find out more, see our page on how we decide on planning applications.

What you can and can't comment on

You can comment on:

  • loss of light or overshadowing
  • overlooking or loss of privacy
  • visual appearance (for example, design, appearance and materials)
  • layout and density of buildings
  • traffic generation, highway safety or adequate parking
  • noise, smells and disturbance resulting from use
  • loss of trees
  • effect on listed buildings or conservation areas
  • relevant planning policies (eg, government policy statements, the London Plan, the local development plan and supplementary planning guidance)

You can't comment on: 

  • matters controlled under building regulations or other non-planning legislation (eg structural stability, fire precaution, control of pollution, statutory nuisances etc.)
  • private issues between neighbours (such as, land or boundary disputes, damage to property, private rights of way, covenants etc.)
  • loss of value of property (but the reasons why it might affect the value can be considered in their own right)
  • problems associated with the construction period (such as hours of work, noise, dust, construction vehicles etc. Environmental protection legislation might be relevant)
  • loss of a view

You can't comment on proposals that have a Lawful Development Certificate. This is a certificate which can be issued for alterations, extensions or changes that don't need planning permission (under 'permitted development').