Last updated: 14 November 2023
Next review: 14 November 2024
Winter gritting service
The duty winter service controller continually monitors the Met Office weather forecasts and local conditions. The gritting teams remain on standby at all times and will grit in accordance with the Winter Service Plan.
In the event of severe weather conditions we will do everything possible to keep Waltham Forest moving and we ask residents to be patient with us.
Find out about the council's Winter Service Plan, gritting routes and grit bin locations
SEN transport and school closure during severe weather conditions
In the event of snow, if your child is taken to school on a vehicle arranged by the local authority please note:
- If all roads are covered in snow there will be no school transport and the special schools will not be open
- Its unlikely transport will be running if the main roads are cleared and the side roads remain not cleared. CT Plus will do their best to let you know on the day or telephone them on 020 8509 9140
- If all the roads are clear and transport is able to run please check that the schools are open:
- Brookfield House will have a message on their website to inform parents
- Joseph Clarke School asks that parents ring the school each morning at 020 8523 4833. Check their web page for updated information on school closures.
- Whitefield School will text message all parents if they have a mobile number or if not they will telephone parents
- William Morris School ask that parents ring the school 020 8503 2225
- If you take your own child to school or they use public transport please check that your school is open
Information about school closures