Last updated: 4 January 2024
Next review: 4 January 2025
We offer a variety of volunteering opportunities to help improve our parks for people and wildlife. Volunteering can help you:
- Feel part of your community
- Improve your health and wellbeing
- Improve your confidence
- Gain skills and experience
- Get into employment
- Meet new friends
- Get outdoors
The work of our volunteers helps raise the standard of parks for all to enjoy and enables wildlife to flourish.
Green Gyms (nature conservation volunteering) offer a chance to get physically active, learn practical skills and improve your local environment and community.
These free weekly sessions are for all, regardless of experience, ability or fitness. All tools, gloves etc are provided. Wear sturdy footwear and suitable outdoor clothing. Hot drinks and fruit provided. Bring a packed lunch.
We offer the following Green Gyms:
Ridgeway Park, Chingford
- Days: Wednesdays
- Time: Meet at 9:45am; sessions run from 10am to 1pm.
- Meeting point: Park Keeper Hut, Ridgeway Park
Lloyd Park, Walthamstow
- Days: Every Friday.
- Time: Meet at 10:45am; sessions run from 11am to 2pm.
- Meeting point: Stables building.
Leyton Jubilee Park, Leyton
- Days: Every Thursday
- Time: Meet at 10.45am; sessions run from 11am to 2pm.
- Meeting point: Pavilion
For more information, visit The Conservation Volunteers website.
Under 18s will need to complete a parent/guardian consent form and bring it to their first session. This can be emailed on request.
Biodiversity Action Team
Join the Biodiversity Action Team East to help improve our green spaces for wildlife. On these all-day sessions, you could build a stag beetle loggery, maintain wildflower meadows, improve wildlife ponds and more.
- Days: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
- Time: Meet at 9am; returning no later than 5pm
- What to wear: Sturdy footwear and suitable outdoor clothing
- Refreshments: Hot drinks and fruit provided. Bring a packed lunch.
For more information, see the Conservation Volunteers website
Volunteer gardening in Lloyd Park
Join the Lloyd Park Volunteer Gardeners to help keep the William Morris Garden looking beautiful. This friendly group enjoys a variety of tasks, including weeding, pruning, lawn maintenance, propagation and planting. No gardening experience is needed.
- Days: Thursdays
- Time: 10am to 1pm
- What to wear: Sturdy footwear and suitable outdoor clothing.
- Refreshments: Drink and snacks provided.
We are currently unable to take referrals on this project.
Join a Friends of Parks group
Join your local Friends of Parks group, to enjoy activities including gardening, nature conservation and community events.
Gardening and nature conservation training
We offer City & Guilds Gardening Training courses and one-off gardening and practical nature conservation workshops in our parks. Visit the Adult Learning website.