Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

How to reduce your energy bills

Discover ways to save on energy bills and use less energy.

Tips include:

  • Switching your energy supplier using a comparison website could save you up to £200 a year
  • Switch your energy supplier with others for a better deal by joining the Big London Energy Switch
  • If you have a prepayment meter, you could get better tariffs on a credit meter. (It could cost you money to change meters, and you might not be allowed if you’re in debt to your supplier or you’re a tenant.)

Make your home more energy efficient:

Use less energy:

  • Turn down your thermostat by one degree and you could save £90 a year
  • Turn off lights and you could save £35 a year
  • Turn off standby and you could save £30 a year
  • Use a bowl to wash up rather than a running tap and you could save £30 a year
  • Spend one less minute in the shower each day and you could save £10 a year (per person).

Get help paying your energy bills

Warm Home Discount Scheme - if you are a pensioner on a low income, you may qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme. If eligible, you will receive a one-off annual discount of £140 on your electricity bill.

If you are not a pensioner on a low income, you may still be eligible for the Warm Home Discount Scheme. Each energy company has different criteria, so contact your supplier to check whether you are eligible.

Cold Weather Payment - you may get a £25 payment if you receive certain benefits and the temperature in your area is 0°C or lower for seven consecutive days.

Winter Fuel Payment - you could get between £100 and £300 to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 April 1954.

Energy trusts and funds from energy suppliers

All Big Six energy companies have trusts or funds that could help you if you are struggling to pay your energy bills. Each trust is slightly different and has its own criteria, but generally they could help you clear your fuel debt. Contact your energy provider for more information.

Who you can contact for free help

Citizen's Advice Waltham Forest - CAB can help anyone to maximise their income, apply for energy grants, understand their energy bills or manage their finances or fuel debt. Contact them on 0808 278 7838 (national rates apply).

Age UK Waltham Forest - If you are aged 50 or over, Age UK can help you maximise your income, apply for energy grants, understand your energy bills, resolve issues with your energy supplier or manage fuel debt. Contact them on 020 8558 5512 (local rates apply).

The HEET Project - HEET can help make your home warmer and reduce your energy bills if you are in receipt of benefits or are aged 60 or over. Call them on 020 8520 1900 (local rates apply).

What the council is doing to help residents

Download and read the LBWF Fuel Poverty Strategy 2020-2025 (PDF) - the council’s action plan to tackle fuel poverty and help residents who may be struggling to heat their homes or pay their energy.