Last updated: 7 June 2023
Next review: 7 June 2024
How much alcohol should I drink?
Alcohol consumption is measured in units.
1 unit = 10ml (8g) of pure alcohol, which is the same as:
- Pint of beer (4%) contains 2.3 units of alcohol
- Pint of cider (4.5%) contains 2.6 units of alcohol
- 25ml standard spirit 1 unit (40%) contains 1 unit of alcohol
- 27cml alcopop (4%) contains 1.1 units of alcohol
- 175ml glass of wine (13%) contains 2.3 units of alcohol
- 125ml glass of champagne (12%) contains 1.5 units of alcohol
- DrinkCoach allows people to assess their drinking and receive brief personalized advice by taking a two-minute quiz.
Current guidance recommends:
- Track your intake
- Not to drink more than 14 units a week on a regular basis
- Spread your drinking over 3 or more days
- Take a break from alcohol 2 days a week
Pregnant women should avoid drinking altogether.