Last updated: 16 January 2024
Next review: 16 January 2025
Who we are and what we do
The Waltham Forest Council would like to increase awareness of and participation through volunteering in the London Borough of Waltham Forest.
By submitting your information to the Legends of the Forest registration form, you are consenting for Waltham Forest Council to be both the ‘Controller’ and the ‘Processor’ of your data.
As the Processor, Waltham Forest Council will design and deliver the volunteer programme. Waltham Forest Council determines the purposes and means of processing your personal data as stated below.
If you have questions regarding this service or our privacy practices, you can contact us by email or in writing. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you have a question regarding your data on Waltham Forest TeamKinetic, you can contact Groundwork London at email@example.com
You can also contact us by post. Please write to:
Communities & Participation team (Volunteering)
Waltham Forest Town Hall
Walthamstow, E17 4JF
Please note that face-to-face meetings are by appointment only and can be arranged with the service by email.
Information we hold about you
By completing the Legends of the Forest application form, Waltham Forest Council will capture the following personal information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Mobile number
- Home address
- Whether you have any disability, medical condition, illness or allergies that we should be aware of?
- Emergency contact name
- Emergency contact phone number
- Employment status (non-compulsory)
- Types of volunteering you are interested in (non-compulsory)
- Whether you hold a current driving licence
- Whether you hold a current DBS certificate
- Whether you speak any languages in addition to English and if yes, what languages
Furthermore, when registering, you have the option to provide Waltham Forest Council with the following special category data:
- Ethnicity (non-compulsory)
- Disability (non-compulsory)
Why we need your information and how we use it?
Waltham Forest Council only collects personal data about you that is needed to deliver the volunteering programme. Waltham Forest Council will only use that personal data for the following purposes:
- To identify volunteer opportunities that meet your needs.
- For health and safety purposes Groundwork will collect your contact information, emergency contact details, date of birth and details of any medical conditions that would affect your volunteering.
- For the purpose of service delivery, we may get in touch with you before, during or after a volunteer opportunity you have attended using the contact information you have provided.
- For the purposes of service delivery and security checks, Waltham Forest Council will share your personal information with trusted third-party partners such as, volunteer providers, event organisers and external training providers for volunteering opportunities in which you have confirmed your attendance.
- volunteering opportunities will be coordinated by both Waltham Forest Council and registered providers.
To help monitor the service, Waltham Forest Council will:
- Waltham Forest will record volunteering opportunities you have attended and the volunteer hours you have contributed which Waltham Forest use to compile statistical data to monitor and report regarding service performance. This will never include references to a particular individual.
- Waltham Forest may document your comments, and feedback to help us monitor and improve the service.
- Your personal information will not be used or shared for purposes other than those stated above unless you agree to it at a later time.
Your data will be stored on Waltham Forest Council’s secure database with access restricted to Waltham Forest Council Legends of the Forest programme staff.
Waltham Forest Council may store your data within countries outside the UK; however, these will only be ones that have signed a privacy agreement that meets these standards.
In the event of an accident or emergency, Waltham Forest Council will contact the volunteers involved.
With your consent, Waltham Forest Council will contact volunteers via post, email and telephone.
You will be able to unsubscribe from communications from Waltham Forest Council at any time. Should you wish to withdraw your consent for communications, you can do so by e-mailing Waltham Forest Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Waltham Forest Council may use different mediums to access your data for portability purposes, restricted to desktop computers, laptops and tablets. All mediums will be properly safeguarded with security pin codes/passwords.
Waltham Forest Council will store your personal data on the Legends of the Forest team Kinetic database. Team Kinetic terms and conditions and privacy statement are available to review through the registration process and can be provided electronically at any time.
The lawful basis for the processing
Waltham Forest Council will only collect personal and special category data about you that we need to deliver their service. We collect data on two lawful bases: contract and consent.
Our contractual basis for collecting your personal data is that they would be unable to provide you with their service without the processing of your personal data. To ensure your safety and the safety of others, you are contractually obliged to provide your contact information (name, contact phone number, and address), emergency contact details, date of birth, and details of any medical conditions that would affect your volunteering. These fields are mandatory within the Registration Form and they will not be able to process your application without them.
Waltham Forest Council also collects personal under the lawful basis of consent. Any additional information you provide in the Registration Form is optional but will support them in delivering you an efficient service, measuring the impact of delivery, and identifying improvements to service delivery. Non-compulsory personal data includes gender classification, employment status, volunteering history, DBS, languages spoken, and skills.
Special category data is collected under the lawful basis of consent and Article 9 explicit consent. Special category data collected is ethnicity and disability. Both data sets are non-compulsory.
How long we will keep your information
Waltham Forest Council will keep your data for as long as is necessary to provide the service to you. Should you no longer wish to volunteer for this programme, your identifiable data will be deleted. Waltham Forest Council may retain some anonymised data for the purposes of contract monitoring and statistics.
If an accident has been reported by a volunteer, Waltham Forest Council will keep this information for three years from the date when the report is made.
Our Data Protection Officer
Our Data Protection Officer is Mark Hynes, you contact him by email at email@example.com
Protecting your information
Please see the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.
Your information choice and rights
Please see the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.
Complaints and contact details
These are included in the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.
Information Commissioner’s Office
If we’re unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)