Last updated: 6 October 2023
Next review: 6 October 2024
Who we are and what we do
The Waltham Forest Council would like to increase awareness of and participation through volunteering in the London Borough of Waltham Forest. We are working with Groundwork London, a social and economic regeneration charity, who are contracted to deliver the Legends of the Forest volunteer programme on our behalf. You can find out more details on the Groundwork London website.
By submitting your information to the Legends of the Forest registration form, you are consenting for Waltham Forest Council to be the ‘Controller’ of your data and Groundwork London to be the ‘Processor’.
As the Processor, Groundwork London will take instructions from Waltham Forest Council who designed and commissioned the Legends of the Forest volunteer programme which Groundwork London is contracted to deliver. Waltham Forest Council determines the purposes and means of processing your personal data as stated below.
If you have questions regarding this service or our privacy practices, you can contact us by email or in writing. Email email@example.com for more information.
If you have a question regarding your data on Waltham Forest TeamKinetic, you can contact Groundwork London at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you can contact Groundwork London Data Protection Officer at GWLondon.GDPR@groundwork.org.uk, Groundwork London 18 – 21 Morley Street, London, SE1 7QZ
You can also contact us by post. Please write to:
Communities & Participation team (Volunteering)
Waltham Forest Town Hall
Walthamstow, E17 4JF
Please note that face-to-face meetings are by appointment only and can be arranged with the service by email.
Information we hold about you
By completing the Legends of the Forest application form, Groundwork London will capture the following personal information:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Mobile number
- Home address
- Whether you have any disability, medical condition, illness or allergies that we should be aware of?
- Emergency contact name
- Emergency contact phone number
- Employment status (non-compulsory)
- Types of volunteering you are interested in (non-compulsory)
- Whether you hold a current driving licence
- Whether you hold a current DBS certificate
- Whether you speak any languages in addition to English and if yes, what languages
Furthermore, when registering, you have the option to provide Groundwork London with the following special category data:
- Ethnicity (non-compulsory)
- Disability (non-compulsory)
Why we need your information and how we use it?
Groundwork London only collects personal data about you that is needed to deliver the Legends of the Forest volunteering programme. Groundwork will only use that personal data for the following purposes:
- To identify volunteer opportunities that meets your needs.
- For health and safety purposes Groundwork will collect your contact information, emergency contact details, date of birth and details of any medical conditions that would affect your volunteering.
- For the purpose of service delivery, we may get in touch with you before, during or after a volunteer opportunity you have attended using the contact information you have provided.
- For the purposes of service delivery and security checks, Groundwork will share your personal information with trusted third-party partners such as, volunteer providers, event organisers and external training providers for Legends of the Forest opportunities in which you have confirmed your attendance.
- Legends of the Forest volunteering opportunities will be coordinated by both Groundwork London and registered providers.
To help monitor the service, Groundwork London will:
- Groundwork will record Legends of the Forest opportunities you have attended and the volunteer hours you have contributed which Groundwork use to compile statistical data to report back to Waltham Forest Council. This will never include references to a particular individual.
- Groundwork may document your comments, and feedback to help us monitor and improve the service.
- Your personal information will not be used or shared for purposes other than those stated above unless you agree to it at a later time.
Your data will be stored on Groundwork London’s secure database with access restricted to Groundwork London Legends of the Forest programme staff.
Groundwork London may store your data within countries outside the UK; however, these will only be ones that have signed a privacy agreement that meets these standards.
In the event of an accident or emergency, Waltham Forest Council will contact the volunteers involved.
With your consent, Groundwork London and Waltham Forest Council will contact volunteers via post, email and telephone.
You will be able to unsubscribe from communications from Groundwork London and/or Waltham Forest Council at any time. Should you wish to withdraw your consent for communications, you can do so by e-mailing Groundwork at email@example.com.
Groundwork London may use different mediums to access your data for portability purposes, restricted to desktop computers, laptops and tablets. All mediums will be properly safeguarded with security pin codes/passwords.
Groundwork London will store your personal data on the Legends of the Forest team Kinetic database. Team Kinetic terms and conditions and privacy statement are available to review through the registration process and can be provided electronically at any time.
The lawful basis for the processing
Groundwork London will only collect personal and special category data about you that they need to deliver their service. They collect data on two lawful bases: contract and consent.
Their contractual basis for collecting your personal data is that they would be unable to provide you with their service without the processing of your personal data. To ensure your safety and the safety of others, you are contractually obliged to provide your contact information (name, contact phone number, and address), emergency contact details, date of birth, and details of any medical conditions that would affect your volunteering. These fields are mandatory within the Registration Form and they will not be able to process your application without them.
Groundwork London also collects personal under the lawful basis of consent. Any additional information you provide in the Registration Form is optional but will support them in delivering you an efficient service, measuring the impact of delivery, and identifying improvements to service delivery. Non-compulsory personal data includes gender classification, employment status, volunteering history, DBS, languages spoken, and skills.
Special category data is collected under the lawful basis of consent and Article 9 explicit consent. Special category data collected is ethnicity and disability. Both data sets are non-compulsory.
How long we will keep your information
Groundwork London is required by Waltham Forest Council to keep your data for as long as is necessary to provide the service to you. Should you no longer wish to volunteer for this programme, your identifiable data will be deleted. Groundwork London may retain some anonymised data for the purposes of contract monitoring and statistics.
On completion of the contract, all volunteer data (including personal and special category) and opportunity provider data will be passed from Groundwork London as the Processor onto Waltham Forest as Controller of the data.
Groundwork London will delete their records of the data within one month of the end of the contract.
If an accident has been reported by a volunteer, Groundwork London will keep this information for three years from the date when the report is made.
Our Data Protection Officer
Our Data Protection Officer is Mark Hynes, you contact him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Protecting your information
Please see the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.
Your information choice and rights
Please see the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.
Complaints and contact details
These are included in the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.
Information Commissioner’s Office
If we’re unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)