Last updated: 27 February 2023
Direct Payments Support (DPS) is a service run by Citizens Advice, Waltham Forest, that provides people with confidential, impartial, free information, advice and support to people who receive a Direct Payment for their care and support.
We have a legal duty under the Care Act to make sure service users can access the information and advice they need to make good decisions about care and support.
The DPS also provides support regarding personal budgets to service users; this includes:
- Helping them choose and manage their Personal Budgets, such as information on what Direct Payments are and how they work.
- Giving them more choice and control over their daily lives and increasing their ability to live independently.
- Providing specialist knowledge for people with Learning Difficulties, Mental Health, young and adult carers and people from ethnically minor groups seeking to receive Direct Payments.
- Providing them with information about care agencies and other independent providers who have agreed to supply and manage personal assistance (PA).
- Helping with recruitment and employment of PA’s for service users who do not wish to manage their own staff.
- Help them gain the confidence and knowledge they need to work with providers of their choice.