Last updated: 31 January 2023
Next review: 31 January 2024
If you have a visual and/or hearing impairment and are finding it hard to manage, you can get help and support from Waltham Forest Sensory Support Service (which is provided by Sensory Specialists Ltd).
This is a free council funded service that can offer, depending on your eligibility:
- A specialist sensory needs assessment
- A rehabilitation service, including mobility and daily living skills training
- Equipment for day-to-day living, for example flashing doorbells, television amplifiers and other alerting devices
- Training in communication skills - using Braille, British Sign Language or Deaf Blind Manual
- Support to access BSL interpreters
- Advice and information on support available locally, regionally and nationally
- Sensory loss registration
If you feel this service will help you or the person you are caring for, please contact our Adult Front Door Assessment Team by calling 020 8496 3000.
If you are having inpatient treatment at a hospital, please contact your GP as soon as possible following discharge so they can make the appropriate and necessary referrals to support your sensory loss.