Click here to activate screen reader, translation and accessibility tools

Social, emotional and mental wellbeing

Getting help

If you're worried about a child or young person, getting them to talk can really help, whether you're a family member, friend or teacher.

If you're worried about your own mental health and wellbeing, you should tell your doctor. This is confidential for anyone over 16, unless there are risk concerns.

It's important to seek help if you're experiencing anything that's worrying you, including:

  • Anxiety
  • Bullying
  • Depression
  • Divorce and separation
  • Exam stress
  • Family problems
  • Grieving
  • Relationship problems
  • Self-harm
  • Struggles with sexuality
  • Substance misuse

The Youth Wellbeing Directory can help you find organisations who can support you, or someone you know.

Help for children and young people:

  • Kooth offers free, safe and anonymous mental health and wellbeing support for young people. Qualified counsellors are available for text-based conversations, from 12pm to 10pm on weekdays, and 6pm to 10pm at weekends.
  • Togetherall is a safe, online community where people support each other anonymously to improve mental health and wellbeing.
  • Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) is a free NHS talking therapy for people 16 and over, who are worried or have low mood. Services include one-to-one therapy, counselling and group work.
  • Our coping with bereavement page has information on charities and other groups you can turn to for support after a loss. 
  • See the CAMHS websites for parents and young people (PDF)

Support by age range:

Help for parents:

Support in school:

  • Place2Be provides mental health support in primary and secondary schools. 

Domestic violence

If you are a victim of domestic violence or you know someone who is, help and support is available:

You can also visit our safeguarding page to report abuse or find out more.