Legislation and best practice Click to get info
There are a number of legislative controls and steps to follow for noise on a construction site and all sub-contractors and specialist contractors should be aware of these requirements.
- The Control of Pollution Act 1974
- Control of Pollution Act (COPA) 1974, section 72 (Best Practicable Means)
- COPA, section 60 (Council notice) and 61 (prior approval)
- Environmental Protection Act 1990 (sections 79-82 - statutory nuisance)
- Environmental Protection Act 1990 - Authorised processes
- Environmental Impact Assessment regulations, 1999
- Environmental Impact Assessment regulations, 2009
- The Noise Emission in the Environment by Equipment for use Outdoors Regulations 2001
Best practice guidance includes
- British Standard 5228-1: 'Code of practice for noise and vibration control on construction and open sites'.
The Control of Pollution Act 1974 s61 - Prior Consent Click to get info
Companies intending to carry out extended work may apply in advance for permission for the methods by which these works are to be carried out or to extend the hours of work.