Electoral register


Register to vote

Registering to vote online takes you a few minutes.

You will only need your date of birth and National Insurance number.

More information on registering to vote

Register to vote here

Phone: 020 8496 3000  Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, and ask if you're on the electoral register.

If you've moved, you need to re-register at your new address on the GOV.UK website.

You will need to do this even if you've moved within the borough. If you had a postal or a proxy vote, you'll also need to re-register for these.


You can check the current register in person at:

Walthamstow Library
High Street
E17 7JN 

  • Monday to Friday: 9.30am to 6.30pm
  • Saturday 9.30am to 5.30pm
  • Sunday: 10.30am to 3.30pm

You can look at archive registers in person, by appointment at:

E17 9NH

Phone: 020 8496 4391
Email: vhm.enquiries@walthamforest.gov.uk

Legally you cannot take any copies of the register, either paper or photographic, although you may take handwritten notes.

Registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the 'edited register').

The electoral (full) register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The council has a legal duty to supply copies of the full electoral register to credit reference agencies.

The open (edited) register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it’s used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

You can find more information about both registers on GOV.UK.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You can opt out:

  • when you register to vote, you are given the choice to opt out of the open register
  • by phone - contacting Waltham Forest Council on 020 8496 3000 Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
  • by email – to electoral.services@walthamforest.gov.uk with the words ‘Opt Out’ in the subject heading

You must make it clear that you wish to opt out of the open register, and include your full name and address.

We’ll respond by email within five working days to confirm that you have been opted out.

Making a declaration under the Section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1998

You can tell the electoral registration officer that you want them to cease, or to not begin, processing your personal data for the purposes of direct marketing, in accordance with Section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1998.

You can do this by contacting us by email or letter.

You must:

  • make it clear that you wish to make a declaration under Section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1998
  • include your full name and address and;
  • if writing, personally sign your letter

The Electoral Registration Officer
Waltham Forest Town Hall
Forest Road 
Walthamstow E17 4JF

Email electoral.services@walthamforest.gov.uk

We’re not able to contact credit reference agencies direct to discuss your registration status, your application for credit or people previously registered at your address.

If you’re denied credit or are told you have a low credit score because your name is not on the electoral register, you can ask us to check the register, or ask for a Certificate of Inclusion. Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.

Guide to credit reference agencies from the Information Commissioners Office

If you need proof that your name appears on the electoral register we can supply a Certificate of Inclusion.

The certificate is a letter confirming that the person named on the certificate is on the register at the stated address for a set period of time.

A certificate can only be produced for the person registered at that address, not a third party.

To request a Certificate of Inclusion, contact Electoral Services:

Phone 020 8496 3000

Email electoral.services@walthamforest.gov.uk

The cost of each copy varies depending on how much of the register you need. To buy a copy of the open electoral register you will need to email electoral.services@walthamforest.gov.uk with details of what you're looking for. We will be able to tell you how much it will cost.

Then, come back to this page to pay. You can do this by clicking on Pay for Sale of Register under Get Stuff Done on this page.

At the end of every year, we need to update the electoral register so that we know how many people in Waltham Forest are registered to vote. This is called the annual canvass.

To do that, every property receives a household enquiry form (HEF) between August and November.

The household enquiry form will contain the names of registered voters we have on record at your address. Every household – whatever the occupiers’ nationality or status – needs to respond confirming whether this information is correct or not. 

This is easy to do, and full instructions will be included on the form. Anyone who is added to a household enquiry form will then need to register to vote separately (the HEF itself isn’t a voter registration form). 

Confirming that everything is correct 

If the information that is pre-printed on the form is correct you still need to respond to confirm that nothing needs to change. You can do this in less than a minute via:

  • freephone 
  • internet
  • SMS text message

You can also complete and return the form via post. Detailed instructions can be found on your form. 

Making changes or adding new names 

The quickest way to do this is on the GOV.UK register to vote page. You can also complete and return the form via post. 

Any individuals added to the household enquiry form will still need to register to vote. 

If this doesn't happen, the Electoral Registration Officer will send them a voter registration form. 

Registering or changing your details 

If you move house or if your details change, you can update your registration at any time of year on the GOV.UK register to vote page. You will receive confirmation in writing, to keep as proof of your registration. 

Every year, the council appoints a number of canvassers to assist the Electoral Registration Officer with producing a new electoral register.

Being a canvasser involves calling at properties in the borough to encourage voter registration and to help residents complete their forms. If you are interested in working for Electoral Services as a canvasser:

Complete application forms can be returned via:

Certificate of Life Click to get info

If you’re a pensioner receiving a war pension from abroad and need confirmation that you are receiving the payment and are still alive, we can provide a Certificate of Life.  

To apply, please call in to our office and bring your passport. Where possible, please provide an English translation of your documentation.

Once we have checked you’re on our register, we’ll stamp the form to confirm that we have seen you.

Contact Click to get info

Electoral Services

London Borough of Waltham Forest
Waltham Forest Town Hall
Forest Road
E17 4JF 

Phone: 020 8496 3000 
Email: electoral.services@walthamforest.gov.uk