Land charges privacy notice

Online council services

Who we are and what we do?

Local land charges responds to requests for land charge searches, collating and providing information in connection with the conveyancing process, to customers such as agents, solicitors, professional bodies and members of the public.

Local Land Charges
Telephone: 020 8496 6949​
Economic and Growth

We hold information on solicitors and other third party agents that request for a search on properties on behalf of sellers and buyers.

The Information we record is a company name and address, email address, an individual contact within your organisation.

As we are now a digital only service, we no longer accept cheques or paper forms. We accept search forms via email and payments made online or by third party search providers.

Other than solicitors details, for example: address and contact details, we don’t not hold any other personal information. Further information is irrelevant to us and is not required by our services.

The reason we record this information is in order to complete and return to the appropriate person searches submitted to the local land charges department. The information is stored on the land charges process system and held indefinitely, as required by our legal team.

The Local Land Charges Act 1975 requires us to maintain a local land charge register.

The only personal information that is entered by client or solicitors in when they make payment via our online payment service. However this goes to finance and a receipt notification comes to us, with minimum info. For example, last four digits authorisation code, name and registered address of card.

We are to keep search requests and results up to 6 years, this is an audit requirement.

Our Data Protection Officer is Mark Hynes. You can contact him at

Please see the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.

Please see the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.

These are included in the relevant section of the Corporate Privacy Notice.

If we’re unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).