Give notice of a marriage or civil partnership

Births, deaths and marriages

Marriage notice

Before you can have a marriage or civil partnership ceremony, you need a marriage licence.

To get a marriage licence both persons must give notice at the Register Office.

You must make an appointment to register the marriage, which will take place at our Walthamstow or Leytonstone Libraries.

Please read the below information thoroughly if registering a marriage.

To convert a civil partnership to a marriage, we ask that you please read the advice set forth by the Home Office, and then make an appointment with us at the link below.

If both of you are British or EU citizens you must give notice at least 28 days before the ceremony. This should be in the borough that each of you live in, and you do not need to attend the appointment together.

If one or both of you is a non-European Economic Area (EEA) citizen, you must give notice at least 70 days before the ceremony. You can give notice at any designated office and must attend your appointment together.

Changes for EU Nationals from the 1 July 2021

  • If you are a national from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, from 1 July 2021, you will need a visa, unless you have settled, pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme or you applied to the EU settlement scheme before 30 June 2021 and you are awaiting a decision on your application.
  • If one of these statuses applies to you, your notice will have a waiting period of 28 days. The person giving notice is responsible for obtaining a unique (9-digit) share code prior to their appointment to give to the registrar when giving notice.  Link to retrieve code on the GOV.UK website. Your status will be checked at your appointment and if confirmed, the notice can be taken without referral to the home office.
  • If one or both parties are subjected to immigration control, they are required to place their notice together in the district that one or both parties resides.

If one or both of the couple is housebound or detained in prison, we can arrange to visit you.

Book your appointment for a marriage notice

To give notice, couples must have:

  • Lived in Waltham Forest for at least eight full days (one full day is 24 hours) before giving notice
  • Nine consecutive days of residence in the borough if travelling from overseas for a marriage or civil partnership
  • Written consent from your parents if aged between 16 and 18 by completing the consent to marriage form​
  • Confirmation of the ceremony venue when you give notice. If you change the venue, you will have to give a fresh notice with a second round of fees and waiting period

If you plan to hold your marriage or civil partnership in a different area, you should also contact the local register office for that area before you give notice, to make sure officials will be there on the day.

Costs Click to get info

Fees must be paid online when you book your appointment.

There is a non-refundable booking fee for each person wishing to give notice:


Prices (per person)

Monday to Friday




There is an additional fee if one or both of you are subject to immigration control which is £24 in total.

Divorces that have taken place in a foreign country require clearance from the General Register Office before your ceremony can take place. Please note this fee will be payable on the day of your notice appointment:


Prices (per person)

Divorce documents that can be cleared locally  


Divorce documents sent to GRO for consideration and clearance



When you make your booking, you'll be asked for payment by debit or credit card. We do not accept cash.

It is important that you read the guidance prior to attending your appointment. You will be required to pay the fees again if you do not attend, produce incorrect or insufficient documents, or make changes to your booking within 24 hours before.

Documents required if you are a British Citizen

Each person should bring the original documents to prove name, age and nationality:

  • EEA (European Economic Area) National identity card
  • Full British birth certificate (if you were born after 1 January 1983 you must prove your parents' nationality with their passport or long form birth certificate), and
  • Valid passport/ID card

Documents if you are an EU Citizen

  • Valid passport

Proof of address for each person is required. This must be one of the following:   

  • Utility bill (gas, water or electricity) dated within the last 3 months
  • Council Tax bill (most recent)
  • Bank statement (dated within last month)
  • Mortgage statement (dated within the last 12 months)
  • Council/housing association tenancy agreement
  • Valid UK Driving Licence
  • Letter from the owner or proprietor


    You must both bring the following original documents:

    • Proof of identity – valid passport
    • Proof of address (as listed in previous section)
    • A passport-sized picture each
    • Proof of status/visa (evidence of settled or permanent residence, a marriage or civil partnership visa, or exemption from immigration control)

    If any of these documents are not in English, a translation of the documents will be required. 

    The translation must be signed by the translator with their contact details and they must certify that it is a true translation

    You must bring the following documents:

    Read the GOV.UK guidance on giving notice as a foreign national.

    After your appointment, your notice will be displayed in a public folder in the Register Office for 28 days.

    The marriage licence will be issued to the district of where you will be getting married.

    If you’re subject to immigration control, the Home Office must give clearance before the marriage licence can be issued.

    A notice of marriage or civil partnership is valid for 12 months.

    Additional information Click to get info

    If you don't have a computer or are unsure of how to book an appointment online, you can call us on 0208 496 3000 for support.

    For all our services, please visit our Register Office webpage.

    If you need a copy of a marriage certificate, read our copy certificate information for costs and how to apply.

    To make a general enquiry to the Register Office, this can be done through My Account. You can contact us if you need a special licence for the marriage or civil partnership to take place elsewhere because one of the couple is seriously or terminally ill.

    Use the GOV.UK tool to find out what you need to do to get married abroad.