Private rented property licence exemptions



In some cases, properties may be exempt from the requirements of licensing.

Please find below a list of the most common full and temporary licence exemptions.

If your property falls under the full exemption category, you do not need to take any further action.

However, you will need to apply for a temporary exemption notification (TEN) if you believe that your property falls into this category (for example: the property is being sold).

Please note that any recent change in circumstances does not negate the historical legal requirement to hold a property licence in Waltham Forest.

For licensed properties any change in circumstance needs to be notified to the Private Sector Housing Team by the licence holder and/or their property manager within 10 working days.

The council may also request evidence, which will be reviewed at the council’s discretion and may be refused. 

If you are unsure if your property is exempt, or requires a temporary exemption notice, please contact us for further information on:

Alternatively, you may wish to seek independent legal advice

Full exemptions Click to get info

  • Properties where the council has taken action to close the property down
  • Buildings controlled or managed by registered social landlords and housing providers, including most housing associations and the council
  • Buildings controlled or managed by police, fire brigade or health service body
  • Buildings regulated by other enactments
  • Certain university/college accommodation occupied by students
  • Buildings occupied by religious communities except section 257 HMO’s
  • Where the tenancies and licences are subject to a prohibition order whose operation has not been suspended. (s.20/s.21 Housing Act 2004)
  • Commercial lettings
  • Premises that are licensed for alcohol consumption (not off licences)
  • Certain agricultural tenancies
  • Holiday homes and lets
  • Where a family member rents the property from you (evidence will need to be provided, examples of this could be birth certificates or an affidavit)
  • Long lease tenancies, where a landlord grants a lease document for a term of over 21 years to a tenant
  • Properties leased to a local authority on a private sector lease and used as temporary accommodation
  • Nightly let schemes let to a local authority and used as temporary accommodation

Temporary exemptions Click to get info

You may be eligible for a three month temporary exemption in the following circumstances:

  • the property is in the process of being sold
  • the owner has given the tenants notice and the property will be sold
  • the owner of the property is moving into the property
  • the property is in the process of being converted into a commercial premises
  • if a licence holder has died the licence is terminated and a temporary exemption notice may be issued

Apply for a temporary exemption notice