Fair rent inspections

Find out what you can do if you think you're paying too much rent.

Last updated: 11 October 2023

Next review: 11 October 2024

Private tenants who think they are paying too much rent can get an independent rent officer to inspect the property and set a fair rent appropriate to the property.

This is carried out through The Valuation Office Agency.

The rent officer can register fair rents for most private sector residential accommodation if the tenancy started before 15 January 1989.

The fair rent is the maximum rent that a landlord may charge. The Rent Act 1977 sets out the rules for this process.

Either the landlord or tenant can apply to the rent officer for a rent to be registered, or they can apply jointly. There is no charge for this service.